HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Transfer Window thread  (Read 38842 times)

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Transfer Window thread
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:01 am »
Well - January Window is here for us. What's it going to be like? Not a window I generally be excited about. Most clubs trying to get rid of players that aren't good enough (certainly something we need to do) and not one where we seem to set the world alight.

Here's the thread anyway. Post your rumours and confirmed deal thoughts here......
The Landlord!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Window thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:50:58 am »
http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-defender-could-eye-lane-switch-1-7652379

i think this would be a good switch IMO we've had our best results when he's played. But we do need another CB because our cover can't be relied upon.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »
Striker and keeper please

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:21:49 pm »
McNulty extended to end of the season at Pompey             

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/sheffield-united-marc-mcnulty-2787166.aspx

The last line of that article says to me he's gone!!
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:56:13 pm »

I believe he signed a 3 year deal in May 2014. If so then we either bring him back for Sammon, or get Pompey to stump up some cash.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:50 pm »

I believe he signed a 3 year deal in May 2014. If so then we either bring him back for Sammon, or get Pompey to stump up some cash.

Thought it was 2 with a 1 year extension clause.
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:27 am »

Thought it was 2 with a 1 year extension clause.

This was the article I read which says he is contracted to summer 2017.  You may be correct about the 1 year option Vamps.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/809659711?-295:800:0

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 08:48:19 am »
Not much new news in here, but I saw this comment and wondered what the SCMP obligation is?

Although Adkins is keen to bolster the options at his disposal, United’s SCMP obligations are set to trigger a series of departures during the transfer window.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/809829374?-295:800:0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:50:04 am by BoltonBlade »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:09:45 am »
Not much new news in here, but I saw this comment and wondered what the SCMP obligation is?

Although Adkins is keen to bolster the options at his disposal, United’s SCMP obligations are set to trigger a series of departures during the transfer window.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/809829374?-295:800:0

Salary Cost Management Protocol regulations.

Basically a maximum of 65% of all turnover can be used for salaries..............

It basically was designed to work hand in hand with Financial Fair Play rules but was specific to salaries, where as FFP also looked at the club being run 'economically' and with valid income/expenditure streams (not just money pumped in by owners - although they skirt close to the wind now by 'sponsoring' the club, as is happening with our neighbours!). Can't remember the exact figures but a few clubs were caught out initially for exceeding £10m in losses.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:13:38 am by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 09:42:30 am »
Read an interesting article on SCMP over Christmas that argued it was better for Championship sides to breach the rules than observe them.  Sides like Bournemouth for example paid massive wages in order to secure the right signings and loan players in order to get promoted.

The PL and FL governing bodies don't co-operate hence Bournemouth aren't being fined or having a transfer embargo enforced.  With the money on offer to those in the PL, which grows further still next season, Bournemouth took a gamble by flouting the rules and it paid off.

Of course it's a risk because if you pay out on big wages it doesn't guarantee promotion, and if a team flouting the rules missed out on promotion they'd end up with a  transfer embargo the following season in the Championship.  Teams like Forest have been caught with this.

It also wouldn't necessarily help teams like us, as the financial benefit of being in the Championship as opposed to League One, though still significant, isn't as big a gap as between PL and Championship - so it carries the same risk without the same reward.

The article also suggested that the FL is clamping down on SCMP avoidance schemes like sponsorship deals with shareholders'  companies that are over priced (e.g. Chansari's name on the trotters' shirts).  The PL isn't as worried about this kind on thing, so again there's no co-ordination across the leagues.

Our problem is that we spent (relatively) big on wages in previous seasons and many of those players turned out to be ineffective but are still contracted and hence their wages still contribute to our SCMP limit.  Come the summer many of these contracts expire and so, in theory, we should have more flexibility next year - which (IF) we go up via the play offs, will be essential as we will definitely need to improve the squad to compete at the next level.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:44:57 am by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
Suspect I read the same article - and Bournemouth WERE fined - £1!!!

It was supposed to come in instantly in 2011 but that many clubs kicked off (us included as we'd essentially have had to clear the decks) that it was agreed to be staggered with the final drop down to 65% rule coming in at the end of this season.
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 03:38:41 pm »
Calvert-Lewin's been giving reviews to Adkins about Lawson D'Ath, a 23 year old midfielder at Northampton.  Seems we're interested but so are Burton - touch choice then.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 04:06:13 pm »
Some rumours I've heard. No idea how solid or not they are. Just passing them on.

Che out to Arsenal, Newcastle, Spurs and WBA.

Baxter to Huddersfield.

Scougall on loan to Crewe.

Harris to Wigan.

Kyle MacFasdean in

Sam Morsey in

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 04:07:11 pm »
Calvert-Lewin's been giving reviews to Adkins about Lawson D'Ath, a 23 year old midfielder at Northampton.  Seems we're interested but so are Burton - touch choice then.

Bizarrely, Northampton are regarded as a "local" team by Look East and he's often mentioned on the footy roundup on a Monday evening.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »

Bizarrely, Northampton are regarded as a "local" team by Look East and he's often mentioned on the footy roundup on a Monday evening.

12 goals from the "Baxter" position and he doesn't take penalties! We need a look at this lad.

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved