HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Board changes at the Lane  (Read 172 times)

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Board changes at the Lane
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:10 am »
The McCabe family are on that seems to divide opinion at a football club, more than I've seen anywhere else. That may be because I pay more attention to United than any other team, but I've never seen our own fans so divided over a chairman/owner/shareholder/everything else he's been over the years.

There's no secret that whilst I'm not his biggest fan, I also support what he's done for the club and think we'd be in a much worse state without him and his family. I'm certainly not he of the fans clambering for him to leave the club. I think he's a very steadying influence and is a genuine fan of the club. He wants to see us do well.

With the latest announcement of board changes https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2017/september/company-information/

I can't decide whether this is a good thing, bad thing, or just a natural progression. What I do know is there will be lots of speculation!! The Prince has always had representatives at the club, and hasn't been able to have more involvement due to FIFA rules and his role as Sports Minister. It's possible that this is just a natural progression now that role is over, or it could be a move for the Prince to become more involved before buying the McCabes out. I don't see the Prince having the same love for the club as KM and wonder how much support he'd give if we did end up being relegated.......

Anyway, now I've thrown my two penne three in I'll walk away and let the bickering begin!!!  :whi
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Board changes at the Lane
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:00 am »
Like a lot of people, I've seen the good and the bad from the McCabes and I still don't like the idea that they own the ground.

The recent moves do suggest the start of a serious shift towards EITHER the Prince and his people taking over completely, OR the strengthening of the management structure with a view to engineering a sale to the Chinese.

McCabe delivered us from a very dark period in the club's ownership (Woolhouse, McDonald, Hashimi etc), delivered a stadium to be proud of, and has finally got us back to the minimum level that a club like "ours" belongs.

I think he's lined his pockets from time to time and been less than honest on some occasions. He was also a Board member at the time of Black Thursday.

However, all things considered I fall off the fence on the positive side. I'd rather have McCabe than Chansiri, or Venkys, or Tan, or Shinawatra etc.

Summing up, "better the devil you know", and if this move is the start of KM and his family moving out the door (he'll probably be made Honorary President or similar anyway I guess) I'd thank him for his efforts, wish him well, and start shitting myself about who might take over.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:27:36 pm »
Is it coincidence that we get back into the championship and the prince can now concentrate on the Blades more.....or am I just being my usual cynical self  ;D

I'm not sure what all this means, i'm not clever enough but I hope it's for the good and finally we rid ourselves of the McCabes with a massive buy out and huge investment.

For me the McCabe's have held us back, stifled investment in the the team, took us down into lge 1 for 6yrs and only given us 1 season in the top flight. Also it was Mcdonald who rebuilt the John Street and put a new lid on the Kop not McCabe. Yes I agree we could have had worse but we could have had a lot lot better.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:09 pm »
There was always going to be a lid on the kop. Macdonald gave us one with pillars so 500 people can't see properly!

As for John Street, it's a temporary stand that was intended to have been replaced by now with a "permanent" structure.

Black Thursday was unforgiveable. The one thing McCabe has been is a steady constant. Sunderland would like a McCabe right now.

I'm no apologist for KM and have good reason to deride him for some stupid and some greedy decisions, but overall I'd say we're in a good place right now. Everybody fucks up, and KM has proven that more than once, but overall there are more worse owners than KM in football than better.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:26:13 pm »
I'm no apologist for KM and have good reason to deride him for some stupid and some greedy decisions, but overall I'd say we're in a good place right now. Everybody fucks up, and KM has proven that more than once, but overall there are more worse owners than KM in football than better.

Vincent Tan anyone...........??

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »

Yes, as per my previous post. Do keep up donkey  :roll:

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »

Yes, as per my previous post. Do keep up donkey  :roll:

Just merely emphasizing the point Penfold  :ok: :DB

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 03:35:26 pm »
touche mon brave  :ok:

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 12:22:05 pm »
The McCabes don't just divide the fan base, they divide the individual! I for one can't make up my mind.  Yes, he loves the club and has been a steadying influence, but you don't need to look too deeply at the accounts to work out there is money going out of the club to somewhere...

And I'm no fan of the policy that meant my 99,000 shares are practically worthless as there's no open market for them anymore.  So even though they're valued at 80p or something, there is no way of selling them - so actually they're worth zero.

Could the resignations from the board be something to do with the McCabe's new project at the "Olympic" park I wonder? Either removing a possible conflict of interest or just freeing up their time to focus on that project?

What's interesting is Selahatin Baki moving to a new "technical" board.  Not sure I get the purpose of that yet.

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved