HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #330 on: November 02, 2017, 02:25:06 pm »
Other less admirable forums make me laugh.  Someone has the audacity to suggest CW got his team selection wrong on Tuesday night and all the sad little keyboard warriors lay into him (wasn't me btw!).

Glad on here we can suggest that even CW can make mistakes and also suggest how we would have done it differently (though to be honest we don't have to follow our ideas through and if we did it'd end up being shit anyway).

CW is the best manager we've ever had, but to say he's infalible and beyond criticism whatever he does is simply silly... Oh well, thank god I've got this boozer to pop into for sanity's sake.

Sounds like you're having a rare old time Landlord!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
Other less admirable forums make me laugh.  Someone has the audacity to suggest CW got his team selection wrong on Tuesday night and all the sad little keyboard warriors lay into him (wasn't me btw!).

Glad on here we can suggest that even CW can make mistakes and also suggest how we would have done it differently (though to be honest we don't have to follow our ideas through and if we did it'd end up being shit anyway).

CW is the best manager we've ever had, but to say he's infalible and beyond criticism whatever he does is simply silly... Oh well, thank god I've got this boozer to pop into for sanity's sake.

Sounds like you're having a rare old time Landlord!

All managers make mistakes, for me you don't take out players on form. Also CW has a long way to go before he's the best we've ever had, in my time it has to be Bassett who got us up two divisions and kept us in the top flight for four years. Porterfield took us up from 4 to 2 and Warnock up 1 to the top flight....if CW gets us to the top flight then he'll be second only to Bassett IMO

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 02, 2017, 11:50:33 pm »
The Bassett years I'll never forget. I'm happy to accept they might not have actually been as good as I might remember with my selective memory, but bloody hell did we have some good times with Harry, and over many years too.

I love CW and what he's achieved so far. I believe he can usurp Bassett as the best we've had, but there's still some way to go yet before he takes the mantle. I truly hope Wilder becomes the legend he appears to be becoming. Bassett for me will always be the man who gave me the best years of my life as a Blade.............so far.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:54:25 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 03, 2017, 12:24:15 pm »
Wendy fixture at the Lane moved to a Friday night for Sky - that’s not going to be carnage at all now is it??!!
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 03, 2017, 01:58:56 pm »
Holy Crap! They'll be bussing in rozzers from 7 counties!

(Happy Birthday Vamps ??? )

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 03, 2017, 05:15:00 pm »
Match @ Villa also moved to 17:30 for SKY coverage.

Happy Birthday Vamps. :DB :DB

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 03, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
The Bassett years I'll never forget. I'm happy to accept they might not have actually been as good as I might remember with my selective memory, but bloody hell did we have some good times with Harry, and over many years too.

I love CW and what he's achieved so far. I believe he can usurp Bassett as the best we've had, but there's still some way to go yet before he takes the mantle. I truly hope Wilder becomes the legend he appears to be becoming. Bassett for me will always be the man who gave me the best years of my life as a Blade.............so far.

We had some cracking players under Bassett like Agana, Deane, Hodges, Bradders, Whitehouse, Fjortoft, Saunders etc mixed in with grafters like Booker etc

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 03, 2017, 07:22:26 pm »
Bassett was long gone when Fjortoft and Saunders arrived mate, Harry left in '95 and those two signed in '97

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 04, 2017, 08:44:20 am »
Bassett was long gone when Fjortoft and Saunders arrived mate, Harry left in '95 and those two signed in '97

I'm hopeless when trying to remember when players / managers came and went. Suppose not going to BL regualarly after 1994 doesn't help.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22:08 am »
Wolves back on track last night so we're 5 points off the top this morning. Hopefully CW has the Blades back to their best today and we can cut the gap back to 2.

COYRAWW !!!!!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
I thought we were off of our usual game first half, we still deserved a couple of goals though. Their goal happened because of poor positioning from Moore but other than  that they were very poor. Second half though we were back to that high pressing, high intensity game and Hull couldn't live with us or Clarke and for me was MOTM by a country mile. I said to my mate before the game that Clarke needed a goal today but I didn't expect 4 from him, when was the last time one of our strikers got 4...I can only remember Edwards v Gillingham in 1983 was it? Can we keep this up? hell yes but we need some top transfer action in Jan to give us a bigger chance.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 05, 2017, 09:29:30 am »
A great win against a pretty poor side, and it could have been an absolute embarrassment for them if their keeper hadn't made some fantastic saves (with Blackman only on loan maybe we should look for a top quality keeper like him).

Burton, Fulham, Birmingham to come next. Anywhere between 7 and 9 points from those three will do for me  ;D

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2017, 09:27:40 pm »
Just read a Hull fan's blog on the match.

1. They deserved to be in front
2. They should have had a penalty
3. The referee was biased in our favour
4. They never get anything from refs at Bramall Lane
5. Finally he admits they were awful second half but despite saying the Hull MF was in full flow in the first half he gives SUFC no credit for the turnaround
6. Even after his team shipped 4 goals in one half he still referred to us (3 times at least) as "The Blunts"

Some people just aren't ready for day-release

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:16 am »
How deluded?

1. They deserved to be in front
If the football gods wanted to punish us for not taking two (maybe three clear cut chances) then yes, they deserved to be in front (or we deserved to be behind).

2. They should have had a penalty
At first I thought they had a case.  On iFollow it looked a clear handball.  On the Sky highlights I still think it was handball, but it was just outside the area.

3. The referee was biased in our favour
Had he booked their player for the bad foul five minutes before he then did book him for a less bad foul they'd have been down to 10 men first half.

The only way that game could have been any better (other than taking more of our chances and making it 8 or 9) would have been if they'd done that cheesy "getting mauled by the tigers" chant when they were one up, to then get thoroughly humiliated Wendy bounce killer style...

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:49 pm »
hahahaha - we had that conversation in the pub before the game about the "mauled by the tigers" chant - utterly embarrassing!

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved