HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2017, 09:52:28 am »
To be fair on Coady (some of the Wolves fan seem to be blaming him) he stopped a probable goal the form Clarke's in - so he took one for the team.

Think the Wolves fans blaming Coady have a point. The game was even after 15 mins so surely better to go a goal down than a man down so early on?

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:30 am »
Based on the final standings for the Championship in the 2015-16 season, 41 points was enough to avoid relegation.  So we only need 7 more wins (or 6 wins and 2 draws) from the remaining 36 fixtures  :ok:

Based on last season, we'd need 51 points to avoid the drop, 10 wins and a draw.

#pubteam

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2017, 05:48:29 am »
Does he go straight back in, or Start from the bench?

The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2017, 09:24:39 am »
He got off to an amazing start, and I can't wait to see him back, but would you really break things up after the last 2 games? Difficult one. I'd say Billy and CD should probably start from the bench

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:26 am »
Agree 100%

How can you drop Clarke or Brooks after the last 2 games?

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 30, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »
Suffered today for what seems a strange line-up with one up front, and he a returning player from injury.

We should have let Brooks and Clarke get on with it.

Having said that, we had several chances to score early on and should have been out of sight, and again at the end we've had loads of opportunities but in general that last-third has let us down for once.

Still, we're playing well and we're in a great position, bring on Ipswich who lost at home to Brizzle today.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:53:59 pm by lingsbord »

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2017, 08:48:21 am »
When I saw the team I was a little shocked to see Clarke & Brooks had been dropped. Clarke has been on fire, 4 goals in 2 games, so why drop him? Brooks has been getting rave reviews, so let him continue.

Donaldson didn't get a mention in the first 20 mins, and wasn't at all worth his place on the pitch.

Coutts need to stop getting silly bookings, he misses the Ipswich game, and Fleck is only 1 away from a ban.

I thought we had enough chances to win, but the finishing was not as clinical as it should be.

Still, 21 points from 11 games is a far better return than i thought we would have had.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:07:07 am by BoltonBlade »

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2017, 03:30:59 pm »
2 points per game and we're promoted. We're only 1 point off the required average total so far. A win v Ipswich and we're back ahead of target.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2017, 12:14:21 pm »
Rumour on Twitter was that Clarke was carrying a slight strain that CW didn't want to risk.  Brooks needs to be rested occasionally.

Selecting Donaldson was a mistake though as he clearly wasn't on the pace - and at one point looked like even I could have beaten him when he was trying to chase down a ball. 

Forest fans were mainly gracious in their victory, praising us as a very good side, though one of them suggested we might struggle if we get a number of injuries - you mean like we've had for the last 4 games - doh!

What's wrong with Sharp btw? I haven't seen much mentioned about his injury and CW suggested on Friday that his injured players were all back in contention. 

I think 5-5 wouldn't have been an unfair result Saturday, but once again we turned up in an established Championship side's back yard with no fear and played some fantastic football at times.

The defending wasn't to our usual high standards (no Jake Wright at the start - coincidence?) and we're still wasting too many chances to put in a killer ball when we get down the flanks or, even worse, get right to the byline on the edge of the box. 

Duffy had a stormer I thought.  Perhaps if we had had Brooks and Clarke from the start we'd have won that one easily, but CW must have had his reasons.

What worries me is Baldock's injury, with Freeman still not ready and, even if he was, without match practice.  Ipswich will be a tough test as their forwards are on fire, and they love a long ball...

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2017, 05:00:22 pm »
Sharp has a rib injury but should be fit for Ipshit....Clarke had only just come back from injury himself so not surprised if he got a strain. Donaldson isn't fully match fit but hopefully will be sharp enough come next game. Evens is having his op during this break so he'll be out for a bit. I would have played Brooks though, a lad on fire, why protect him? get games under his belt and raise his value and then tell Everton, Liverpool or whoever to feck off in Jan. We certainly need some luck with injuries, it seems every other game we get one and it's frustrating.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
Sharp has a rib injury but should be fit for Ipshit....Clarke had only just come back from injury himself so not surprised if he got a strain. Donaldson isn't fully match fit but hopefully will be sharp enough come next game. Evens is having his op during this break so he'll be out for a bit. I would have played Brooks though, a lad on fire, why protect him? get games under his belt and raise his value and then tell Everton, Liverpool or whoever to feck off in Jan. We certainly need some luck with injuries, it seems every other game we get one and it's frustrating.

I’m concerned that with the high tempo game we’re playing (and having to do much more work/running in this league) we’re going to be susceptible to injuries this season.
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2017, 08:54:16 am »
BTW - did anyone else notice the Reading manager having a go at Norwich for turning up late for their game on Saturday... Wankers.

On the Ipswich game, as you all know this is my local derby.  Ipshit is only 25 miles down the road from me and young Harry played at their academy until they decided they didn't need defenders any more (he now plays for Leiston FC in the Bostick league instead and ironically they train at Ipshit's Playford Road training ground as most of their u18's are ex Ipshit or Colchester academy boys).

Anyway, I'm worried about this game as, if there's one thing we don't do so well, it's defend teams who play it long and hit us on the break.  An early goal for us will settle it down and allow us to play our football.  If they score first, we're doomed - they'll be like Norwich on steroids when it comes to defending the lead only more dangerous on the break.

On a more positive note - I'm up for the Reading game (sat in the usual place in the Westfield corner). COYRAWW!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2017, 09:42:01 am »
Anyone find watching England is like watching the Blades under Adkins?

Lethargic build up.  Sideways and backwards passes.  Crosses and set pieces never beat the first man. A team of individuals not a team...

I was a gibbering wreck by the end of the game...  )O(

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:01 pm »
I rarely watch them any more mate. With the players at our disposal we should be way better than we are. Southgate is like the personification of the FA. Safe suit who needs results, regardless of how they come. trouble is, when it matters we don't get the results. I'd rather watch exciting attacking football and take the results whatever somes, as the opposite approach has failed us for 50 years.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »
England are 25/1 to win next years World Cup.

For those who don't understand betting, that means that if you put £10 on for England to win......

........you will lose £10  :whi :roll:
The Landlord!

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved