HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5448 times)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2017, 09:01:13 pm »
At home against a struggling side who can't win away and how many shots on target? It was woeful in the final third.

Interesting that CW chose to use the post-match conference to complain about Norwich's team sheet being 45 minutes late. FFS Chris just have the balls to say that for whatever reason we had no idea how to break down a solid defence and in reality we never really "went for it" by taking any kind of risk at all.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:01 pm »
Just an aside, we're getting a very unwelcome reputation already for some proper knuckledragging, kicking off at 'Boro and today against Norridge fans. WTF is wrong with these sad fucks?

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2017, 08:54:40 am »
Well, as said on WhatsApp during the match, I saw it differently to many. First half anyway. I thought Norwich always looked like the most likely to score. We could have played for 3 games and woukdnt have put it in the back of the net. I'm not going to blame Ched either! Out of 6 first team strikers only Ched was able to take the field, he only being 50% fit and needing an operation on his ankle (which I'm led to believe he cancelled to play, but could also be a bit of flowering). Throughout the game he had 2 sometimes 3 defenders on him. He regularly dragged those defenders out of position to create gaps for others, but there wasn't anyone there. He was unlucky in the box with the ball pinging off shin's knee's and bum's.

The whole team grafted their hearts out to a man to try and appease the fans and second half were much better. Yes there was a stupid amount of time wasting from Norwich, but to be fair no more than we did at Bolton on Tuesday night. As 'ineffective' as Ched was, Jerome was for them - Murphy looked dangerous all game though.

I think we deserved the draw, and every player deserves a pat on the back for the effort. MoM for me was Coutts, but I think had Duffy stayed on he'd have pushed him close - was a bit surprised when he got taken off. Nice debut for Thomas. He looked composed and like he could be useful at this level.
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2017, 09:46:52 am »
The views below mirror what it sounded like on iFollow, very frustrating. 17 shots, with 4 on target is piss poor. When I saw the team I was worried about the lack of strikers.

I haven't read anything about Clarke missing for personal reasons, only ones that said he was injured. Was the Billy injury known about?

As a thought, could Basham have been an option up front? How about Jordon Hallam, think that's the name, who is scoring goals for the reserves?

How did Brooks play? Kevin Gage was drooling about his performance on iFollow

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
I missed the first 25 minutes, including their goal, so can only comment on what I watched on iFollow and I saw a very competent Championship side trying to break down a poor League one side. And we were the former! Someone on Twitter pointed out that a little under 12 months ago we watched teams like Oldham do the same to us that Norwich did yesterday.

For me that speaks volumes.  We're no longer the newbies in this league, where opponents think they'll get an easy three points.  We've arrived on the Championship map.  Teams, who two years ago were in the Premier League, are so shit scared of us they come for the draw then put 11 men behind the ball and waste time when they manage to sneak a goal and go one up.

The reason we had so many shots (and possession) but so few on target was because we couldn't break them down.  We camped on the edge of their box and some of our passing was exquisite.  But we lacked that final ball.  Too often crosses hit the first defender or were too close to the keeper.  Several times we got to the byline then chose the wrong ball into the six yard box.  I think this was mostly down to a lack of targets in the box (as everyone else has already said). 

But, to be fair, when you're playing your 6th choice striker who is only 50% fit, can you really expect anymore? We're going to come up against tactics like this at BDTBL a lot more often now teams are aware of our quality.

I for one see this as a positive.  There's no way this team is going to be anywhere near trouble come next May.  So the only way is forward in my view.  As CW finds his feet, he and Knill will work out ways to counter such negative play. We'll still have games where we can't break down the opposition (FFS, let's not forget England vs Iceland!) but as long as these are few and far between we'll be alright.

Now next week will be a different proposition.  There's no way the grunters will play negatively in front of their own fans, even if they went one or two up.  It'll be a much more open, flowing game played at 100mph, which I think will definitely suit us.

Now if I was a Norwich fan, I'd be very pleased with those 3 points yesterday, because they're going to be rare for them this year.  I'd rather be us and have lost that yesterday, than be them and have a dismal season ahead.  UTB!

PS. agree with Lings. There is a growing minority of Blades' fans who are absolute dickheads.  I raised this fact last year after seeing us disrespect several away grounds and fans.  This year it seems to have taken on a more sinister, violent edge.  Find them, ban them, and move on. 

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2017, 09:45:17 pm »
I see things slightly different regards yesterday. Before they scored they looked like the only team that would (apart from one chance from Brooks) and our defence was all over the place. Norwich, even though they were Prem League recently, have had a shit start to the season with a couple of heavy losses although since the transfer window have seemingly sorted out their defensive woes. As such, their confidence is not very high and coming to a form team, especially at home, once they took the lead (deservedly) decided to hang on to that. Ok, timewasting was appalling but we would have done the same and you can't blame them. They would have realised after the first quarter of the game that we had no cutting edge and then decided on the defensive and timewasting tactics.....it worked, so fair play.

The fact that CW changed so much of the starting XI last Tues v Bolton, especially at the back concerned me yesterday because the defence in the first half looked like it had missed a match. You have to pick your best and strongest side for every league match - a settled side gets stronger every game.

It's ok having the lion's share of possession etc but you have to take advantage and whilst we may have been a little unlucky (and without any help whatsoever from the officials), we could still be playing now and won't have scored. Yes, I know that our main strikers were out but what again concerns me is that we picked Evans who is supposed to be 50% fit. So by that reckoning, Sharp and Donaldo must have been less than 50%. I just hope that Wilder isn't gambling too much on next Sunday........as Lings and I were saying, of course the derby is a huge game but so is every league match so you have to pick the best available team, with or without injuries.

If we start the games against the pigs or Wolves like we did Satdi we will get hammered.

We are 8 games in and looking like a settled Championship side but we are by no means comfortable yet at this stage of the season. Look back to last season when Birmingham were 7th but only on goal difference and they only just survived the drop. Yes, I know that there was an inexplicable change in management but it just shows how form can change. Much work to do yet.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »
What speaks volumes is the number of articles on Newsnow about how Norwich are describing their win as a fantastic, season-defining, wonderful rearguard action in managing to get over the line and get the 3 points against the might Sheffield United. The fact that we've just come up from the League below renders a lot of their celebrations mildly embarrassing to be honest.

Norwich's attempts on target don't back up my learned colleagues' assertion that Norwich looked likeliest to score. For long periods they never got out of their own half. Our problem was that when Ched got free to cross the ball he forgot that he was the only one he could cross to. On the day he should have played within the width of the 18-yard box and let Brrooks and the rest work the wings.

Fingers crossed, Donaldson and Sharp start at the weekend with Ched and Clarke (and Brooks) on the bench. Brooks to come on for the last 20 mins. I think he'll go with the established defenders too, so 2CV probably won't get a look in (and how could you deny the existing defence the opportunity to play in that game?)

Bit of a moan, Sotonexile has a ticket for the game at the weekend and never told the rest of us he was going. Boo!  :whi

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2017, 09:38:07 pm »

Bit of a moan, Sotonexile has a ticket for the game at the weekend and never told the rest of us he was going. Boo!  :whi

Actually he did, via WhatsApp to the non Luddites amongst us.... :whi :whi
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2017, 12:14:07 am »
Don't get me started........

Chris didn't tell us, he "whatsapped".

Antisocial media is for trolling, insults and frivolity. Getting tickets for the derby is NOT frivolous! This shit is important! Would you prefer that your missus "whatsapped" you that she'd fecked off with the window cleaner? Sorry, bad analogy...............I mean to say that when it matters humanity should communicate properly. This bollocks is like shouting out of the window and whoever isn't in earshot doesn't get the message.

I reserve the right to say " no thanks I ain't giving the unclean £47 of my hard-earned"  :ok:

Ooops - hahahahaha I just got one of those texty things asking me if I was looking for a ticket. Hmmmmm............away at the Pigs is the best place to win at, but also the worst place to lose at. Can I decide at 2pm Sunday if I had wanted to go or not?

Donkey where you watching it?

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:52 am »
Don't get me started........

Chris didn't tell us, he "whatsapped".

Antisocial media is for trolling, insults and frivolity. Getting tickets for the derby is NOT frivolous! This shit is important! Would you prefer that your missus "whatsapped" you that she'd fecked off with the window cleaner? Sorry, bad analogy...............I mean to say that when it matters humanity should communicate properly. This bollocks is like shouting out of the window and whoever isn't in earshot doesn't get the message.

I reserve the right to say " no thanks I ain't giving the unclean £47 of my hard-earned"  :ok:

Ooops - hahahahaha I just got one of those texty things asking me if I was looking for a ticket. Hmmmmm............away at the Pigs is the best place to win at, but also the worst place to lose at. Can I decide at 2pm Sunday if I had wanted to go or not?

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and have it proved beyond all doubt.........

Errrrmmm.........is this forum social media? Would it make a difference if he announced it on here rather than via a Messaging service, which is actually even more private than this forum? As I remember he was somewhat of a giddy kipper, having bagged one of the last 70 available
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2017, 08:12:32 am »
Of course it would make a difference - I use this  ;D

Sorry - just gutted that I had no chance of getting a ticket, and I won't be there when Donaldson smashes the winner in but Chris will - totally jealous!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:48:52 am by lingsbord »

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2017, 08:51:58 am »
Here's another hypothesis on what may have happened Saturday.

What if CW got a bit over confident. He saw Norwich were having a shit start and really wants to win the derby next week so he decided to rest Sharp, Donaldson and Clarke on the basis that our midfield and wing backs would exploit what his research indicated were Norwich's weaknesses.

On Saturday at 14:15 he handed in his team sheet but the Norwich coach wasn't there to hand his in.  So later, too late, CW sees the Norwich team sheet which is set up completely different to what they've been playing.  They've decided to go all defensive but it's too late to do anything about it.  Too late to bring Sharp back into the side for example...

That would explain why he was so pissed off about them being late to hand in their team sheet?

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:27 am »
Probably mate, Norwich manager knew what he was doing and CW was upset 'cos the opposition got one over on him.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2017, 12:39:56 pm »

Dunno yet mate.......was going to watch it in The Little John but it is essentially a pig pub (even has the shit crest behind the bar). Why don't we find somewhere in town and we can meet up with Chris afterwards......assuming he is not heading straight back to train for another feckin bike ride  :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:02 am »
Happy 50th Bidet CW  :DB

Good to see KM's onboard with the wave of enthusiasm, "we hope we might return to the Premier League within 5 years"  ???

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved