HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5258 times)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2017, 08:52:00 pm »
Good thing today was that as was highlighted in commentary, Brooks and Ched looked good when Sharp and Donaldo went off.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2017, 12:29:25 pm »
Brilliant performance.  There's a common thread evolving as every time we beat someone their fans turn on them saying that they're shit and not worthy of the shirt.  Brentford, Barnsley and Derby fans said that and look what happened to Derby in their next game.  Can't be that shit.

Is it therefore actually because we're so much better than other teams' fans imagine we make them look so shit...

Sunderland, one shot (well glancing header) on target all game and not many off target either.  We dominated throughout.  I just love watching us play now.  There's always a player finding space to receive the ball, which is why we keep it so much.  Player on the ball has another player who is the most likely advanced recipient.  If that player is marked then there's always someone else dropping in behind or to the side to receive a safe ball instead (this is actually the Barcelona way! Can't believe I am saying that!).

Once teams realise that they also need to mark Donaldson (and Ched or Brooks) then Sharp is going to start finding more space again.  And we all know what happens then...

Isn't it nice being a Blade at the moment  :ok:

P

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2017, 09:10:45 am »
Just reading the latest "View From" article on the Bolton preview.
https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com

The first quote from a Bolton fan caught my eye straight away: "How about 4-4-1-1 and hope we can take advantage of their relative weakness in both boxes?"

What weakness? 

As far as I'm concerned the only weakness we have is due to our style of play and is to pump balls behind our wing backs when they've pushed on.  Boro did that first half at the Riverside and so did Cardiff.  Problem is, for our opponents, is we have 3 CBs and the midfield to cover for them, so they need extreme pace to get in behind the wing backs and also take the risk of pushing their own wide midfielders forward and leaving their own flanks exposed to attacks from Freeman and Stevens.

I bloody love Sheffield United and Chrissy Wilder  :ok:

It gets better as you read on.  How about "This lot have only won one championship away game in their last 5 seasons.  We should be getting something."  :DD
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:13:37 am by Roma »

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2017, 03:19:09 pm »

As far as I'm concerned the only weakness we have is due to our style of play and is to pump balls behind our wing backs when they've pushed on.  Boro did that first half at the Riverside and so did Cardiff.

I think the game against Leicester highlighted that weakness to ourselves because we seemed to have got stronger there and we've won both games since and let's hope for a third win tonight.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
Blackman, Baldock, Fleck, O’Connell, Clarke, Sharp, Wright, Coutts, Carter-Vickers, Duffy, Lafferty.
Subs: Stevens, Basham, Lundstram, Freeman, Eastwood, Evans, Brooks.

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »
Blackman, Baldock, Fleck, O’Connell, Clarke, Sharp, Wright, Coutts, Carter-Vickers, Duffy, Lafferty.
Subs: Stevens, Basham, Lundstram, Freeman, Eastwood, Evans, Brooks.

Not sure why Freeman is dropped, unless for tactical reasons? Apparantly Bash has a slight injury, so why put him on the bench?

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2017, 06:30:47 am »
I'm working in Widnes this week (lucky me) so thought, well it's only just round the corner, why wouldn't I go to the game, even if it is a shit ground. Any chance to see the Blades (and Widnes is a shithole!)

Have to say it wasnt our usual flowing football, but I think that was very much down to Bolton. It looked like a decent Championship side playing a bunch of league 1 thugs. We got well and truly bullied (and yet they went down like bsmbi being shot if we went anywhere near them. Disappointing that an experienced ref like Atwell kept buying it as well......have to say, if Bolton carry on playing like that all season they're in serious trouble. They haven't made the step up well at all.

On the changes, 2CV (thanks for that Roma) started off looking a little dodgy, but as the game went on he grew into it more.and more. Took his goal really well and should have had a second. In fact if he'd hit it anywhere else than straight at the keeper he would have done. By the end I was really liking him, the trouble we have is who does he replace? As a back 3 Stearman O'Connell and Bash have looked really good. Baldock scares me, did throughout. I think he was another that got better as the game went on, but far too many silly misplaced passes. He's got speed though - plenty of it! Clarke was always going to come in, and in fairness he held the ball up well, but he got found out last night, cos that's basically all he did. He and Sharp were like strangers, he held onto the ball fir far too long when a simple ball would have released another player, seemed frightened to have a shot, and when he had a glaring chance at the end missed it!!

Coutts once again was outstanding. What Tufty has done to him is incredible - MOTM yet again for me.

I was actually quite worried when Brooks came on - it was a very wet pitch and Bolton where really going in hard by this point - wasn't sure it was a game for him and also worried he could easily pick up an injury - he took a few knocks, but he stood up and showed he can take some of the rough stuff as well, but his skill on the ball shone through. he spent a good portion of the last few minutes just holding the ball up in the corners - using strength to hold players off, and his skill to keep them away from it - the double megs on Beevers drawing rapturous chants from the away faithful.

All in all, not a pretty game, but job done, another 3 points and we move onto Norwich - there aren't any easy games in this league are there!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:41:26 am by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:30 am »
I enjoyed watching the game on iFollow last night and agree with Vamps' summation.

Bolton had one game plan and one only. To flood the midfield, close us down quickly, try to stop us passing and then pump balls to the lone forward in the hope we'd make a mistake at the back.  First half it didn't work for them.  Second half they upped the intensity of their chasing and harrying (and as Vamps said the violence of it) and their game plan did mostly work. But a team trailing 1-0 should have opened up the game and tried to get at us, so although their tactic may have worked second half, it was clearly the wrong tactic!

Parkinson realised the threat from our wingbacks and so there were usually three or four Bolton players closing down when the ball was out wide, and we actually did quite well passing our way out of some tight corners, but this could have been what exposes Baldock's rustiness or inexperience and why some of his passes went astray.   We were also made to resort to a longer ball down the channels at times, and as said, Clarke's touch wasn't there last night and so he failed to hold the ball up as required.

Once again though, when Brooks came on, he opened up the game.  He gets around so much and can run past two, three players, that the closing down suddenly becomes impossible - we don't need to pass it when he runs at them.  With the Don back in the side, we have two players (plus the wingbacks) that can run at defenders with pace.

Coutts was unlucky not to get on the score sheet last night and in all honesty, I think they had one header cleared of the line from a corner, but it was a very tame header and my 2 year old nephew could have headed it away.

And how good is it to change both your full backs and not really see too much effect on the overall team or result.  I was a bit surprised when CW doubled up on the wing-backs, but now I realise why - it's an intense position and he can rotate so they're always fresh. Genius.

Enjoying this now.  The comparison was there to be seen.  It's official - we are a Championship side and a half-decent one at that. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:49:15 am by Roma »

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:11 am »
Interesting 2 reviews of the match. I sent a few texts put to Bolton supporters I know, and I got one back from a regular attendee at the Reebok. He is mid 50's, ex captain at the golf club. In fact he was with me at the Bath Hotel before the wanderers game last season. I will continue the conversation today.

I said 'Thanks for the 3 points. Sounded close, but we probably deserved it'

'You were absolutely brutal and deserved nothing, but we can't create anything up front. Mr. Atwell 1 Bolton 0.'

I replied 'Atwell hates us as well'

Not tonight, he's in the shower with your thugs. His arse will be the same colour as the card he was afraid to use on at least 2 occassions'
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:57:01 am by BoltonBlade »

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:59 am »
Just picking out some of the comments in the Bolton News.

Lifelongwhite 12th September 10:13 pm
What an absolutely terrible excuse for a referee he was totally appalling from start to finish hope gets mugged on the way home. Another negative from tonight was the disgraceful tactics of the sheffield united players if you can only win games by playing dirty nasty cheating football then there is something wrong with you. On our teams performance i would say it was improved, we conceded the goal but didnt sit around sulking we pulled ourselves together showed some fight and spirit had some good passages of play and some chances we kept going right till the end and should have had at least a point.

One Andy Walker 12th September 10:03 pm
Well who'd a thowt it another defeat, feck off Parkinson you are so far out of your depth we'll need to send for oxygen, clueless doesn't come close to describe your abilities.

REFEREE

Stuart Attwell - 2

What a twat. No wonder he has this reputation as being a terrible referee.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:06:37 am by BoltonBlade »

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:12 am »
I'm surprised at that from Bolton fans. The commentators last night were saying the exact opposite and confirmed Vamps' view that Bolton were the thugs but resorted to throwing themselves to the floor at every opportunity, just like last season, trying to win free-kicks so they could toss the ball in for the big lumps up from the back.

I'm not getting carried away, because although we've just secured 2 away wins they were both against really poor sides, but we're playing some good stuff and certainly don't look out of our depth at this level. Let's despatch Norwich and give the pigs a proper roasting.

UTB!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2017, 11:26:05 am »
Don't get me wrong there were some particularly tastes tackles thrown in from Utd, but only really as last resorts. Lafferty's in particular and have to say Clarke owes him one for that cos he out us in a dangerous position to warrant it. Any of our play was really only in retaliation to what Bolton were throwing at us though and not seeing any action from the ref. One thing I do agree with the Bolton fans, for a Premiership referee Atwell did let the game get away from him - although the reds should have been shown to those players in white!

My guess is the Bolton fans have been watching that durge of an excuse for football for so long they've become conned by it as well. The difference in class was clear to see last night.
The Landlord!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2017, 01:32:11 pm »
Ha ha - some quality comments in here https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com/

Deluded!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:28:40 pm by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2017, 04:02:25 pm »
Hilarious. Especially the guy who says they're way above us because they spent 12 consecutive years in the PL! Yes mate, and you ran up £160m of debt that you had no hope of servicing, and that's why you almost went out of business and why you're heading back to L1 where a small tinpot Lanc town club truly belongs! 14,000 crowds at Championship level? Really? See ya!

I love how they hate us. It gives me a warm glow inside because they're still punching above their weight but couldn't beat a side that's only spent £1m since promotion from L1!

Bunch of deluded arseholes with a bunch of cloggers for a team and a manager whose tactics are older than Bassett's. It's not our fault they're so shit but they would love it to be  ;D

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »
Hilarious. Especially the guy who says they're way above us because they spent 12 consecutive years in the PL! Yes mate, and you ran up £160m of debt that you had no hope of servicing, and that's why you almost went out of business and why you're heading back to L1 where a small tinpot Lanc town club truly belongs! 14,000 crowds at Championship level? Really? See ya!

I love how they hate us. It gives me a warm glow inside because they're still punching above their weight but couldn't beat a side that's only spent £1m since promotion from L1!

Bunch of deluded arseholes with a bunch of cloggers for a team and a manager whose tactics are older than Bassett's. It's not our fault they're so shit but they would love it to be  ;D

Have to correct you my friend. Bolton is in Greater Manchester, and not Lancashire, unfortunately.

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved