HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2017, 10:36:04 pm »
Well that was interesting. The brilliant football made it almost watchable on iFollow (my VPN only works in Standard Definition, HD annoyingly buffers all the time).  As someone already said, it reminded me of some of last season's performances where we moved the ball around quickly and there was always one or two players waiting to receive the ball.  The opponents were stretched and made to chase the game.  Yes our three goals were a bit lucky, but then we were also unlucky not to score another 3.  We played with a swagger that has been missing in the games so far this year.  We should play that way every week. Screw giving teams respect, humiliate them..

In that first half we were totally dominant.  My only minor criticism was that we sometimes made a chance to cross or shoot but turned back and started neat triangles again.  Sometimes I think we should take more of a chance and whip one in and see what happens.

Coutts had one of the best games I've seen him play for us, maybe as he had a point to prove having been rejected by Derby who ran out of patience with his long-term injury.  Saw a fact on Twitter:  Water covers 77.7% of the earth's surface.  John Fleck covers the rest every 90 minutes.

On that form, and with additions coming in soon and possibly again in January, the future is certainly bright.  Still think we'll end up mid-table but, for now, I'm going to enjoy being in the playoff positions... UTB

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2017, 10:44:02 pm »
Roma, Coutts was a regular and their captain until he suffered a bad injury that kept him out for a year. He then went down the pecking order, all the Derby fans I know said he was a good player at Derby.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:35 pm »
That Derby fan needs a check-up from the neck up.

"Sheffield United were really poor" despite having more possession and more attempts on target. Derby hardly got into our half during the first 45!

Gary Rowett and Andre Wisdom also saw the real facts. Out fought, out thought, and then yes, outplayed.

I'm all for the partisan view from the fans, but deluded doesn't even come close to describing his thoughts.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2017, 05:31:10 am »
Some interesting views in here and nice to see us top of the Yorkshire clubs!!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-matchday-experience-all-92-english-league-stadiums

The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2017, 03:38:26 pm »
BDTBL number 2  :ok:

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2017, 04:17:12 pm »
I'm off to see the mighty play at Portman Road tonight... :ok:

Shame it's only the U23's but a Blades' game is a Blades' game...  :cheer:

If I get chance and some decent 4 or 3G I'll try to post some piccys on What's App or Twitter.

It's going to be interesting identifying many of the players to be honest  :DD

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:18 am »
Quick match report from last night's U23's fixture at Portman Road v Ipshit Towaaaarn,

Don't expect names as buggered if I know who most of them were and it wasn't helped by the Blades' team on the photocopies of the team sheets handed out didn't have numbers on them.  In fact it didn't help the player's not having names on their backs and some of them having the same number (we had 2 number 6's for example!).

Anyway, we started well enough but after about 10 mins looked a little lethargic, like we'd travelled 4.5 hours down the A1 and A14 just before the game  :whi

We were holding and playing the ball well in midfield but not really creating much and looked dodgy everytime Ipswich broke, which wasn't that often and was usually a long ball over the top.  The lino was terrible and missed several clear offsides (I'm talking yards not inches).

It was poor marking at a corner that got them their first goal, how a corner can land at someone's feet in the six yard box for him to jab home I'm not sure, especially as he was marked.  Keeper should have come for it and defender should have cleared it.

Hallam (I think) then went on a mazy run and curled a level shot in from the angle of the edge of the box but the Ipswich keeper made a stunning finger tip save to push it round the post. The ref gave a GK  )O(

We had a lot of possession in the middle of the pitch, they looked dangerous on the break but were made to pass the ball around the edge of their box for most of the half to be fair.

Their second came from another ball over the top (they'd claim it was a weighted lobbed through ball, but I'd claim it was hoofball again).  The keeper came out to the edge of his box despite the Ipswich player going wide and being tracked by our full back.  He dived, missed the ball completely but was given as second go and did the same again, then once more before they scored a second.  A farcical goal to give away but to be honest we were looking more weary as the half drew on and Ipshit looked like scoring on every break, so I was fearing for us before HT.

Second half we were a different team.  We were up and at them from the start and a goal was evidently coming.  We missed a couple of sitters, where great play down the right wing saw the ball whipped in low into the six yard box but no one was able to get on the end of it when a tap in would do.  Out strikers seemed to either want to hold back on the edge of their box, or were just too slow to get forward, although to be fair our wing backs and midfielders were lightening quick at going past their defenders.

Ipshit were even more limited to breaks now, but did look dangerous when they got out of their half, especially as we only had two players in our own half (3 with the keeper).

We dominated the 2nd period and should have scored at least 5 goals - I'm not talking half chances but sitters!  If you add in the half-chances we could have had double figures.  Our first came from a corner, the big black lad from the back soaring above their defence to head home. He'd done this a few times and missed an easy unmarked header earlier, but this time he hammered home and you could see it coming.  They then scored a third shortly after, against the run of play and, you guessed it, on the break with their 2nd attack of the 2nd half, but again the keeper could (bit harsh this time maybe) have saved it as the chasing full back put pressure on their forward.

Our second goal came after some brilliant play down the right, quick passing leaving Ipswich dizzy and chasing shadows for log periods of the game (think Swindon or Southend away for what it was like).  Then the right sided midfielder powered past three defenders into their box, the keeper saved well, they cleared the rebound effort off the line but we then slid it home from three yards.

There were two more occasions where this ping pong happened in their box but this time we couldn't score.  They broke again got a pen and skied it, then we had three more good chanced, a header just going over when it was was looking goal bound, great save from the keeper then another tap in going inches wide when it was easier to score, smacking the post from 25 yards with a low, rasping and curling shot and so on.

Plus points for me were the way we dominated second half, all over the pitch.  Our right winger was especially good as was the left wing-back...  Not sure about the defence and keeper who looked dodgy throughout, but give them credit we did play with 3 and then 2 only at the back.  Our strikers also didn't seem to get much of the ball and their positioning seemed too far back when if they'd been further forward there were simple tap ins to be had on more than one occasion.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:14:09 pm by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:08 am »
Thank Christ it was only a quick one. Hate to see the long one!!! :DD
The Landlord!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2017, 03:17:32 pm »

:DD :DD

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2017, 12:51:06 pm »
You should have seen my notes!!!!
On a serious note though, it's good to see the development squad playing football the right way. A passing, possession game but also a progressive game. The CW/Knill approach is permeating down the ranks and I think the future is looking bright.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:08 pm »
What's happened to CW? He seems to have decided he's going to ruffle feathers and say what he thinks about a variety of topics.  He's upset the agents and those in the FA (allegedly) creaming off the back handers, pissed off Sinclair and others for having no spine or ambition and now he's upset our rivals by predicting their financial implosions. 

It's like having our very own football equivalent of Victor Meldrew.

Love it! Keep it up CW.  :ok:

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2017, 04:04:01 pm »
What's happened to CW? He seems to have decided he's going to ruffle feathers and say what he thinks about a variety of topics.  He's upset the agents and those in the FA (allegedly) creaming off the back handers, pissed off Sinclair and others for having no spine or ambition and now he's upset our rivals by predicting their financial implosions. 

It's like having our very own football equivalent of Victor Meldrew.

Love it! Keep it up CW.  :ok:

They always say that the truth hurts.....

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2017, 02:28:02 pm »
Blackman, Stevens, Fleck, O'Connell, Basham, Sharp, Donaldson, Wright, Coutts, Freeman, Duffy.
Subs: Baldock, Lundstram, Carter-Vickers, Lafferty, Eastwood, Evans, Brooks.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »
Super win, super performance, the striker we've been crying out for (I admit I was underwhelmed at the time) and if Sunderland had got anything from that game it would have been an absolute travesty.

Two GREAT goals by the way - shooting from outside the box? Whatever next?

Onwards and upwards! UTB!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:41:57 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2017, 08:23:39 pm »
Yep, great stuff today and well deserved, albeit against a woefully out of sorts opposition. Need to beat Bolton on Tuesday and I really hope that Donaldo only had cramp today and not fecked his hamstring, like it looked.

Great to get our first away points of the season  :ok:

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved