HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 08:37:39 am »
I know what you're saying Lings, but I'm not sure its such a case of being overrun in midfield rather than our midfield being run through.  We've come up agains big, powerful, quick forwards and midfielders who are closing us down quicker than we were used to last season and then can get through or behind us in the blink of an eye.  We're playing our passing game too deep as we're being closed down, pushed back and are tentative about losing possession and being run through.

Generally, Cardiff had a passage of play with maybe 3 or 4 passes then a shot.  We'd have passages with 10, 15 maybe 20 passes and (apart from the last 25 mins) these eventually fizzled out without a shot at the end. 

I agree with the 4-4-2 sentiment as when we've adopted that it's looked much more effective.  For the last 20-25 mins last night, we dominated possession and with a higher line on the edge and around their box.  We created most of our chances in that spell.  Brooks and Evans made a big difference when they came on as they were both prepared to hustle and bustle and run at and through defenders.  Brooks looked the most confident player on that pitch last night, which says a lot.  Agree, got to start them both in the next game.

When we are passing it around, which is what we do well, we could do with speeding it up a bit and maybe being prepared to find a final deadly through ball. 

We've taken 3 points from 3 games against 3 teams touted for promotion, 2 of those being away from home.  I'd have taken a point from those three before the season started to be honest.  It'll be good to see how we fare against a side not touted for promotion, one that is more likely to be competing with us mid-table - bring on the Dingles...

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:39:13 am by Roma »

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 07:18:34 pm »
yes the point about the midfield being over-run is that Warnock knew our wingbacks are important to our style so he had them pinned back. Carruthers was supposedly playing the creative central role leaving Coutts and Fleck in the centre/deep making it too easy to get past them. I was really surprised that CW didn't chuck a CMF on to help out.

As you say, it's not the worst return so far, but we need a win against the 6-fingered ones.

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2017, 08:19:05 am »
What are peoples views on Stephens v Lafferty??

Is it time to give Lafferty a go??

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:56 am »

I haven't seen enough of Stevens to make an informed decision if I'm honest, but Lafferty was one of those players from the squad that I said last season wasn't good enough for the Championship, so I'm not convinced he's the answer.
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2017, 11:08:06 am »

As Vamps said, it's still early to judge Stevens, but of the three games I've watched on iFollow or Sky, he seems a little out of his depth at the moment.  I'm prepared to give him the benefit as it's a big step up from L2 to the Championship.  His touch has been a little poor and he seems a bit lightweight in that fullbacks are easily pushing him off the ball.

I'm happy to see how he gets on when he settles in a bit more, but I'd be happy if Lafferty had to come back in for a while too.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2017, 06:21:02 pm »
Stevens has looked good v Brentford and v Stoke

My only criticism of Lafferty last season was, when he got into the positions he got into, his decisions from then on were found wanting, OR when he did make the right decision the delivery was often lacking.

For me, when we're away from home I like the idea of 2 wingbacks on each side covering the wide areas and overlapping. You need pace and ability coupled with defensive capabilities and I know that's a hard thing to achieve but away from home we would be solid and have the ability to spring the counter.

At home, the likes of Brooks and Thomas can shift the emphasis to the attacking third but this can't be achieved in a 3-5-2 because in the 5 you have 2 fullbacks meaning you can't have any wingers.

At home therefore, we should consider a system which still uses fullbacks getting forwards but also includes 2 wingers and 2 strikers, and that suggests a diamond with 2 up top, Carruthers in behind, Brooks and Thomas wide, Fleck at the base, and a back 4 but that leaves us exposed in CMF.

In the end I propose an innovative new system that I call 4-4-4

Freeman  Stearman  Wright   O'Connell

Basham  Fleck   Coutts  Stevens

Brooks  Evans   Sharp  Thomas

I think that would work?

;)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »

It's all a bit weird

Sotonexile can't make it - at a wedding FFS  ::)

Vamps can't make it, because of the "W" word (no, not that one, the other one)

Ash can't make it, because of the "W" word (no comment)

So............just me and the Jaipur then  :ok: :DB :DB :DB

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2017, 10:59:11 pm »

It's all a bit weird

No mate, we are all meeting in the Spoons at Broomhill and sitting in the South Stand  :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »

It's all a bit weird

No mate, we are all meeting in the Spoons at Broomhill and sitting in the South Stand  :whi

Sweet! - Not having you and Vamps either side of me meant I could breathe this time!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:36:14 pm by lingsbord »

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2017, 06:49:55 pm »
Ignoring the previous comments from the plastic part-time Blade who'd rather be Driving Miss Daisy around Derbyshire than supporting the Mighty Wizaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,   :whi  :whi  :whi  :whi    (Tin hat's on now)

Today we were getting back to our best, playing our usual game against a Dingle side who suggest that if they can have the season they had last season by playing like that, we should be OK!

They were woeful for 75 minutes and only came into the game when we sat off and let them have a go. We had several great chances, Duffy should have had a penalty, Brooks should have scored twice, Coutts should have had one, and Fleck and O'Connell went close. Sharp just failed to connect with one at the back post and we were just so much better than them until that last 15 minutes when I was convinced they would equalise.

Couldn't really see the sending off. Looked like Clarke reacted after a headbutt. Same ref who sent a snortbeast off last season for being fouled by someone else.

So Brooks looked lively when he came on, although a tackler he is not, Fleck put a great shift in as did the back 3, Sharp caused them all sorts of problems and Clarke had a great game until the red card.

Ched? After two very encouraging cameo appearances recently he got a great reception when introduced, and he almost got clear with a couple of really nice touches early on, but quickly looked completely knackered and exactly like a player who hasn't played at this level in many years. I still think we need a striker.

MOTM - Duffy, by a country mile, getting back to his best.

Jaipur, Chips and Curry, and the Blades winning at home. Proper Job.  :ok:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:59:58 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2017, 08:06:06 pm »
Ignoring the previous comments from the plastic part-time Blade who'd rather be Driving Miss Daisy around Derbyshire than supporting the Mighty Wizaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,   :whi  :whi  :whi  :whi    (Tin hat's on now)

Today we were getting back to our best, playing our usual game against a Dingle side who suggest that if they can have the season they had last season by playing like that, we should be OK!

They were woeful for 75 minutes and only came into the game when we sat off and let them have a go. We had several great chances, Duffy should have had a penalty, Brooks should have scored twice, Coutts should have had one, and Fleck and O'Connell went close. Sharp just failed to connect with one at the back post and we were just so much better than them until that last 15 minutes when I was convinced they would equalise.

Couldn't really see the sending off. Looked like Clarke reacted after a headbutt. Same ref who sent a snortbeast off last season for being fouled by someone else.

So Brooks looked lively when he came on, although a tackler he is not, Fleck put a great shift in as did the back 3, Sharp caused them all sorts of problems and Clarke had a great game until the red card.

Ched? After two very encouraging cameo appearances recently he got a great reception when introduced, and he almost got clear with a couple of really nice touches early on, but quickly looked completely knackered and exactly like a player who hasn't played at this level in many years. I still think we need a striker.

MOTM - Duffy, by a country mile, getting back to his best.

Jaipur, Chips and Curry, and the Blades winning at home. Proper Job.  :ok:

Just watched the Sky highlights and have no idea (from those that I've seen) how we only scored 1!!!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10995880/sheffield-united-1-0-barnsley
The Landlord!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »
Granted I wasn't there today, but some very interesting and contrasting views

https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/view-from-barnsley-3/
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »
Granted I wasn't there today, but some very interesting and contrasting views

https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com/2017/08/19/view-from-barnsley-3/

Most of 'em called it right mate

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2017, 06:35:08 pm »
Great to get another 3 points at BDTBL  :ok:

Not a criticism as such, but we really need to score more when so dominant and there are better teams to play who will punish us if we don't. From what I've seen so far, I think we will be strong at home but much weaker away, similar to our last Prem season although CW will not be as chicken shit as NW was and will at least try to compete away.

This league is tough and very hard to predict.......let's face it, Ipswich were tipped by most to struggle and they are unbeaten. Villa were going to walk it and they have only just had their first win. Brentford were going to be play offs at worst and they are struggling. In reality, it's far too early to call for anyone at the moment and lots can and will change throughout the coming months. However, I remain fairly sure that the Mighty RAWW will be comfortable and be a higher end mid table side this season.....if so, I can see us pushing for promotion next season under the Great Truth Distorting One  :ok:

Just wish Miss Daisy didn't want driving around most effin Satdis  )O(

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »
The Ipshit situation is bizarre to be honest, even the tractor boys don't understand what's happening. They don't have a recognised defender at the moment and played their kids on Saturday, yet still seem to be keeping clean sheets.  Waghorn seems to be a revelation for them.  Anyway, the point is no-one in this neck of the woods thinks they'll maintain the form and will tail off, but it does show what's possible even in this, as the pigs call it, "superior" league.

Saturday sounded good on iFollow (Tex and I will mumble and swear accordingly as yet another game not available for video stream) and watching the highlights back, we should have scored more.  That said, their keeper had a worldy and Brooks was so unlucky with the one that hit the post.

On the sending off, watching the highlights, Clarke asks the ref why he's being sent off and the ref indicates with his hand that he grabbed the Dingles' throat.  Maybe the ref though it prudent that Clarke head to the dressing room and thoroughly showered himself having touched the Barnsley player without his usual gloves?  To be honest, the Barnsley player didn't really butt Clarke.  I think a couple of yellows would have been a more sensible decision... 

Anyway, distraction on Tuesday night then back to business. Derby will be another tough test and I think they'll put us under more pressure than Barnsley did.  Glad to see Duffy strutting his stuff at this level, and by all accounts Wright was a man-mountain without really getting much of the ball. 

I think Lings called it right and we need another forward, one with pace and strength. One of the Cardiff boys would do nicely.  In fact Bogle might have been perfect so strange we didn't go back in for him.

:ok:

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved