HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »
Lavery just isn't kicking on and showing anything like fulfilling his potential.

When he first joined he had a couple of cameos in games where he turned the game and looked class. I don't know whether it's the bad injury issues he had that play on his mind or what, but I agree he hasn't got anywhere near the potential he's shown in glimpses.  Good call re a loan out somewhere.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
Lavery just isn't kicking on and showing anything like fulfilling his potential.

When he first joined he had a couple of cameos in games where he turned the game and looked class. I don't know whether it's the bad injury issues he had that play on his mind or what, but I agree he hasn't got anywhere near the potential he's shown in glimpses.  Good call re a loan out somewhere.

I do think there's a player in there and he's still young enough, but I just think he needs to learn his trade with regular games elsewhere, get some confidence, score some goals and then come back with a point to prove, or move on permanently.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »
For me last night the one thing that struck home was we don't have quality in depth. Of the players on the pitch last night, the only ones looking likely to be able to slot into the first team (excluding the subs who were in the first team on Saturday) with little notice in the difference in quality were:

- Eastwood - looked solid and composed - distribution was better than Blackman as well
- Wright - but we know about him anyway!
- Thomas - looked impressive
- Brooks - he's got the quality, but did seem to run down a few blind alleys as well - He's got some learning to do but needs game time to get that. He's definitely Wilders sort of player though.
- Duffy - looked like a man with a point to prove after being left out on Saturday - my MoM
- Evans - As Lings said, turned the game for us, although not 100% match fit, so certainly wouldn't be playing a full game yet.

Brayford was disappointingly poor and wants a slap just for wearing a bloody top knot (and no it's not jealousy!)

Oh - and Kevin Friend is still a prize twat!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:13:55 pm by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2017, 12:16:19 pm »
I said that last year too.  We were lucky not to have many major injuries to key first team players.

I guess the dilemma is, if you have too many players good enough to slot straight into the first team, then you're going to end up with disgruntled and unhappy reserves.  It's OK if you can afford to have quality right across the squad and rotate on a regular basis, but I think we're way off that.

When (WHEN) we get back into the PL, it's going to be even more of a challenge as rotation becomes the de facto then.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:02 pm »
Twitter going into meltdown after OWS tweet yesterday lunchtime saying there were 600 out of the allocated 2,657 tickets for Boro remaining.

Must admit, even though it's on Sky and it's a 5:30 kick off, and it's summer holiday season, I am a bit surprised we didn't sell this one out.  Also surprised the crowd Wednesday night was so low.

You can guarantee though, that when we play at Ipswich and Norwich, away tickets will be snapped up long before they reach my level of loyalty points  :roll:

Any thoughts...?

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2017, 01:28:36 pm »
I'm on a roll today...

https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com

Who would have put Boro fans down as being this reasoned and sensible?  Well, apart from the one behind that first comment who is clearly mental...

Is it true that the tickets for the Boro game only went on sale on Monday? WTF are we playing at if so...

Anyway, they also have a measured approach to the game, saying (rightly) that on paper they should win this but almost all admitting it won't be that easy at all... I'm a bit shocked to be honest...

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2017, 07:56:21 pm »
I'm on a roll today...

https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com

Who would have put Boro fans down as being this reasoned and sensible?  Well, apart from the one behind that first comment who is clearly mental...

Is it true that the tickets for the Boro game only went on sale on Monday? WTF are we playing at if so...

Anyway, they also have a measured approach to the game, saying (rightly) that on paper they should win this but almost all admitting it won't be that easy at all... I'm a bit shocked to be honest...

"...their crazy loyalty points scheme"

YUP!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2017, 06:11:50 am »

No - went on General Sale on Monday. Loyalty points before that.

I think it's a low turnout, but there's also a number of factors affecting the attendance, not least it's on Sky and it's holiday season. It's a ground I've not been to and ordinarily would have gone, but I've got an 18th birthday party to host (just to make me feel really old!) but I sure as hell will have it on - even contemplated rigging a telly up in the marquee!!!!
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2017, 09:28:45 pm »
OK, so we saw the Blades lose today at 'Boro. A reality check? A wake-up call?

Well I have a few points to make.

The goal was poor. Bash got a nudge so he could only nod up in the air, Blackman should have wiped everybody out or gone back to his line, but it was just one of those goals.

Outside of that, I'd say 'Boro showed why they are an ex-premier league side and how their £45m spend will help them up to the top of the table come May. Their passing was far more successful than ours. We have started this season playing an alarming amount of hoofball clearances when a more composed approach would serve us better. We have suddenly stopped playing "our" game.

On the positive side, for all their midfield dominance, quality and possession, aside from the goal what did our keeper have to do? They had 3 forwards out there but Blackman could have painted a watercolour of the events in front of him. Ched gave us a spark when he came on, Brooks was introduced too late but looked bright and combative.

The goal should have stood. That linesman gave offside a few minutes previously when it wasn't even close. I mean seriously our player was 6 feet behind their man but still he flagged. OK the goal decision was close, but he gleefully raised his flag when he couldn't possibly have seen if it was O'Connell or their defender who had got the touch. Was he onside? Yes IMHO. Was it an own goal? Maybe. If the lino thought he was offside and interfering then it doesn't matter who scored it.

In the end and on the balance of play I have no problem with the result. They will win the League and they won by the narrowest of margins, but my disappointment is not with the result or the linesman. I'm disappointed that we didn't get our own game going. OK maybe they didn't let us, but FFS how many times did we just launch it forwards Warnock-style? Just as we did in the last half hour against Brentford.

We need to get back to doing our own thing. Pass and move, pass and move.

Some causes for concern then, but overall we gave the probable champions plenty to think about today, and we're still above the pigs who have only played 2 of the sides predicted to be in the bottom 6 and only have 1 point.

Blades to finish 5th  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:53:51 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2017, 11:18:08 pm »
Basically what he said

We looked more like a weir side than a CW side, up until the last few minutes we were devoid of any fight today and It was the opposite to the Brentford game where we fought for every ball. We are one dimensional because we have no real pace in the team and we'll struggle until the club address it. The one thing i noticed above anything was that we had 5 in midfield yet there was a lot of space for Boro' to play in and for me is where we lack quality. On a positive note we reduced Boro' to a couple of efforts so the defensive side isn't doing too bad and with a bit of pace and creativity we'll be fine.

Blackman - inexperience showed for their goal
Basham - apart from their goal was solid enough
Stearman - very steady game
O'Connell - Steady game
Stevens - at the moment isn't good enough
Freeman - got battered but kept going
Fleck - did well in the first half, shows championship potential
Coutts - out of his depth today
Curruthers - Ran around a lot without doing much
Sharp - was he even on the pitch? TBF he had no service
Clarke - ran a lot but was out of his depth

Evens - again gave us a bit of a spark, must start soon
Duffy - Needs to play and settle into the division
Brookes - Give the lad a chance in the starting 11

I'm sure the team today won't be the one that we see in the second half of the season.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2017, 04:38:39 am »
First 10 minutes we took the game to them and, with a bit more composure might have caused more problems.  Why Clarke didn't hit that chance on the pull back first time to make it 1-0 only he will know - again seemed to be a bit of hesitancy or indecision maybe down to confidence?

My initial thoughts on their goal (which until midway through the 2nd half by the way, was their only shot on target) was that Bash was pushed, but watching the replay I don't think there was enough contact to warrant a foul and he should have cleared it with the first header.  Agreed that Blackman should have come or gone back on his line.   

Stevens looked out of place all of the first half and most of the second half and I must confess to wondering why Lafferty wasn't starting in that position.  He didn't look like a championship player yesterday but give the lad a chance, he's just made a big step up and needs to adapt.

Carruthers was frustrating me.  He seemed to lose composure too often and would scuff a pass or try a shot, cross or clever ball when something easier was on.  He has the talent I only wish he'd use it at the right times.

First half in general we struggled to find space.   I think this was causing us to resort to hoof ball or to go sideways/backwards.  We seemed hesitant to play a quick ball to drag the Boro players around the pitch like we used to with teams last season.  The confidence to play our usual game doesn't seem there at the moment.  Players too often played their teammates into trouble when there were better options on.

When we did start to play a bit in the second half, we had a spell where we were on top.

Duffy seemed to change the game when he came on, and it was a shame he was pushed out wide in the 4-4-2 when Brooks came on. 

The "goal" should not have been given offside.  When the camera cut to the lino with his flag out, he could be clearly seen mouthing "number 5" into his mic.  O'Connell was onside when the ball was struck. He was in an offside by the time the ball struck his back and went in, but that shouldn't have mattered.

The new rules do mean that "clear daylight" is no more and, even if only the end of his nose in ahead of the defender then it's offside, but I've looked at the stills and the replay and even with the slightly skewed angle he looked on to me.

Oh well.  We've played probably the toughest game of the season and could have come away with a point and maybe, if we'd played with a bit more swagger and in our usual style, could have got more.

Gary Monk was singing our praises after the game saying we're a very good side and should do well this year...  :ok:

Shame about the nobheads after the game having a go at Boro fans including kids in the car park. Twats.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:54:09 am by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:19 am »
Well I'm not gonna repeat what everyone else has said - we're all pretty much saying the same thing anyway.

I guess the one other point I would make, is yes it's disappointing the goal was disallowed - no it's fuckin infuriating - but I take comfort in 2 points;
- I'm not actually convinced we deserved anything out of the game
&
- it was actually never a free kick in the first place, bllatent dve from J O'C when he knew he'd knocked it too far. I guess karma worked quickly!!

I'll end with a question for the day - Is it just me that has The Fresh Prince of Belair going round in my head whenever I see Blackman??

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:33:47 am by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »
Like Vamps, I have to agree with the other posts. A disappointing performance and we didn't deserve anything in all honesty.

With the new laws on diving, can Jack be be retrospectively booked for his dive for the free kick?

Blackman needs to improve his distribution. On a few occaisions he threw to ball to defenders who had Boro players quite close to them.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »
Leicester cup game next week to be broadcast on Sky.

Good job really cos don't think I can make his one. £10 for ST holders as well.  :roll:

Do we have a watering hole venue for Saturday?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:18:51 am by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
Vamps I'll check with Tap & Tankard tomorrow

I'll go to the Leicester game. perhaps we'll play like we should have done tonight.

My overall view of the 3 games so far in the Championship are that we are being over-run in midfield and we're not getting any service to the strikers. I think we should maybe have another look at 4-4-2 to add a body in MF and get some creative width in there.

Also - Evans and Brooks should be starting IMHO. Brooks caused them problems tonight when he came on and Evans has changed the energy and danger levels for the opposition when he's been introduced.

If your wingbacks can't get forward, go 4-4-2 and get wingers on Chris!

Let's paste the Dingles and get back on track

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved