HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Anyone else feeling giddy as fuck right now??

COYRAWW  :cheer: :cheer:

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2017, 08:10:01 am »
So - Bath Hotel tomorrow - 1pm or are we looking to kick off little earlier? One thing I do know is we probably can't leave getting to the ground quite as late this season as we did last - it's already going to clearly be chaos after the ST debacle - so glad I'm not fetching a ticket from the ticket office today or tomorrow!!!  :o :o

Have a great time today all.

Lets hope we can have the perfect start.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2017, 09:11:57 am »

Giddier than I have been for a good few seasons. Didn't sleep, dropped bum gravy this morning, had no brekkie, really looking forward to this season.

Vamps - agreed mate, will get there asap after 1pm and we should get to the ground eary for sure.

Enjoy the match Bolts mate, looks like your old sparring partner might be back in the chat. :ok:

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2017, 09:18:17 am »

Giddier than I have been for a good few seasons. Didn't sleep, dropped bum gravy this morning, had no brekkie, really looking forward to this season.

:yikes: :yikes: WAY too much info. Keep yer gravy to yer sen

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2017, 02:49:22 pm »

Enjoy the match Bolts mate, looks like your old sparring partner might be back in the chat. :ok:

Stabo is at BL today, lucky bast**d

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2017, 07:52:49 pm »
How great was that?

Really nice beer, Steaming hot inside BDTBL, Blades win, what's not to like?

It was a great game today, way better than the shite I've just watched from Villa Park. Brentford play a lot of lovely stuff in and around that "Number 10" area but they just don't have a striker.

We played some great football for just over an hour (that 2nd "offside" goal I need to see again!) and then we put up a brilliant defensive display to hold out for the win. Yes, I'd have liked to have seen Brooks on for the out ball late on, where some of the clearances might have let him put the opposition under pressure, but the result is the result and I'm a very happy bunny.

Overall, we've arrived back in the Championship and we look like we belong.

MOTM Basham for me, with Stearman, O'Connell and Carruthers close behind

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2017, 08:04:09 pm »
Vamps showed me an embarrassing image of banners going up at the Sty.

Now the Stir's Snortbeast Reporter has posted more pics of what he calls the "away end revamp" - hahahahahahahaha they've covered asbestos shit up with a plastic sheet and that's the full extent of the revamp. Maybe they can do the same for the 1989 safety certificate (oh wait, there wasn't really one at all was there?)

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2017, 12:05:54 am »
Good game today and it could have gone either way, Brentford are a neat unit that lacked a finish today. Blackman looks a very confidant keeper, his handling was solid and Moore is going to find it difficult to dislodge him from the No1 spot. MOTM for me was Clarke, he ran his socks off today and provided the cross for Sharpe to score. The defense were solid and looked good IMO but I thought we were a bit lightweight in midfield and there were big holes in there which allowed Brentford to pick up the ball, we were sloppy to at times in there especially in the first half, second half we tightened it up somewhat and looked more tighter and confident. Overall we worked bloody hard and that's always a good thing to see, "forged in Steel" yes!

What we need to do to improve, some pace, we didn't get behind their defense to often! we're also a bit of a one trick pony at the moment, it's passed wide a lot for someone to cross it in. We need a trickster up front or in midfield. It's early days I know so there's time to settle and improve and overall i'm a happy Blade tonight.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
Watched most of the game on iFollow and must say it wasn't too bad (the stream, the football was excellent!).

The big debates are the disallowed goals for offside.  Sharp's yes, Clarke's I don't think so.  Considering we also hit the woodwork twice (to their once) that wasn't a bad performance.  Another big debate - did Clarke fluff it or was it a dummy? Either way, his cross was sublime when it came.  Their fans were being hard on their defence for not marking Sharp, but watch the goal cam footage on Your Tube and watch Sharp.  He's constantly looking around him whilst Clarke had the ball and found the space.  Give Sharp the credit - he's not easy to mark...

Brentford did look good, but I think we sometimes gave them too much respect, being prepared to battle it out instead of getting the ball, keeping it and taking it to them to relieve the pressure - especially in the last 20 mins.

I think we have the ability to keep possession and it'll come as we get a feel for this division.

Overall, a good result and a good performance.  I think we're going to be alright.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:48:18 am by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »
So - just realised that the reason the cup game is mid week and not tonight (as per our tradition) - is because BDTBL is hosting the opening ceremony for the Special Olympics. I don't want to appear harsh, and it's great that Sheffield is involved in hosting these over the next few days - but that's hardly great preparation of the pitch for the football match being played on it tomorrow!

The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 10:17:32 pm »
We beat Walsall!!!

Monkey off our back after all. WTF was the pen for? The ball's whacked at Bash at 100mph and the ref gives a pen (well it was Kevin Friend ! )

Ched Evans looked sharp, a goal (OG or otherwise it was his shot) and an assist in a fairly brief cameo suggests he's not far off.

A quick word for Eastwood as well. Moore, Eastwood, Blackman, suddenly we have three very competent keepers.

last word: Attendance at 5000 was woeful. They should give priority at the head of the queue for later rounds to those who bothered their arses to turn up at games like tonight. You wait until we draw Liverpool in the quarter finals - there'll be more than 5000 then!!!

Good to see Vamps and the Donkey still haven't lost their appetite for beer  :whi
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:22:30 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »
Good to see Vamps and the Donkey still haven't lost their appetite for beer  :whi

On that day I will either be 6ft under or the fires of hell will have frozen... :whi

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:24 am »

And we'd have had another if someone wasn't under the thumb......... :whi :whi

Anyway - onto the footballing side of things........what he said!!
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 09:07:55 am »
Bloody iFollow...! Serves me right for trying to bend the rules.... 

Last night's game wasn't screened as someone else has the overseas rights for the Cowboy Cup.

And then they post on the OWS that 3 of the next 4 games won't be streamed as video either, as someone has the overseas rights for those also... WTF! So the cost per game suddenly doesn't look that cheap!

Anyway, watched the highlights ( )O( ) and Ched's goal was definitely an OG.  It was going in until the keeper saved it but the second ball was heading wide until it hit the defender (what the hell was that hairstyle based on btw?).

It does bode well though if Ched can find his fitness.  He obviously hasn't lost the desire or his touch.  With Sharp doing his bit inside the box and Ched doing his bit around the edge of the box, that could be a very potent strike partnership...  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
Evans certainly changed the game when he came on. Great pullback for Thomas's goal, another player who had an encouraging performance.

One thing concerns me though. Lavery just isn't kicking on and showing anything like fulfilling his potential. Maybe a loan to get some guaranteed first team football would be good for him. After all, with Sharp, Evans and Clarke ahead of him and with another striker coming in a real possibility, he really needs to continue his development if he's going to have a chance of being a long-term part of things at BDTBL

As for Hanson........

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:11:33 am by lingsbord »

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved