HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017  (Read 5562 times)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: New season, New League, New Banter thread - Championship Banter 2017
« Reply #345 on: November 08, 2017, 04:23:41 pm »
Had to love this from an article on Newsnow:

So a guy puts 90 pence on an 11 match accumulator at the weekend

At one stage, he's offered £1750 as a cash out for his 90p and he lets it go because a couple more scores go his way. He's holding out for £250,000 and it all looks like he's going to spank the bookies for a quarter of a million BUT......

Leon Clarke scores 4, so the ONLY ONE match that lets him down is Blades v Hull and who does the guy support? YES! Hull City!  :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

He made a great comment afterwards, saying if it had come in he could have bought his own house and a Range Rover but now he has to stay with his mum and drive a Corsa  :DD :DD

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:58 pm »
I thought Brooksy played a blinder tonight for Wales and so did the comms who made him MOTM...

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 15, 2017, 08:13:55 am »
I agree, but I would like to see him play out on the left. I am not convinced that the right wing is his best position.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 15, 2017, 10:02:31 am »
He had a good game last night.  He kept switching from left to right and as Wales play quite a narrow midfield was able to cut inside often too. 

Everytime he gets the ball you expect him to do something special, which is a burden he needs to learn to live with as sometimes a simple pass would have done but he tried to meg the defenders instead.  To be fair, when the ball went to him he was closed down right away by 3 Panamanian defenders - they'd obviously realised his potential to rip them a second arsehole.

He could have scored with a sweet left footer after cutting into the area from the right, but a deflection off the defender took it over.

You could see the Welsh forwards (Vokes etc) thanking him for the crosses and balls he was putting in.  These same players are going to be returning to their clubs and telling their managers to go and look at that kid in Sheffield...

I hope the board were serious when they say they want to keep him.  If we do inevitably have to sell him, I seriously think he could be our first 50m player - if we hold onto him long enough for his value to mature.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 15, 2017, 04:36:06 pm »
What I like about Brooks is he seems to have been given permission to play wherever the game is being played, so he drifts around but is starting to build that disciplined approach to getting back and covering where needed. His progress is amazing and he's going to be a PL regular for sure. Bale's replacement at Real?  ;D

If the club seriously considers anything under £20m for him they want shafting up the wrong 'un with a big knobbly stick

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:12 pm »
Couple of things now I'm finally able to get into the bar...

Firstly, bit of fun in this article on the Championship's kits ranked.  For some reason, when I first looked at this this morning we were 5th, then we moved to 4th and now 2nd.  There is a fans' vote at the end but I don't think that counts otherwise Ipswich would be 1st.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/championship-kits-ranked-from-worst-to-first-1-5280710

Second thing I wanted to chuck onto the bartop is a new song for Brooks that I've seen doing the Twitter rounds since his full debut for the Welsh dragons last night (you'll guess the tune from the first line)...

Brooks the magic dragon
Nutmegged Jack Hunt
Left him all tied up in knots
And looking like a cunt...  :ok:

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 15, 2017, 07:22:47 pm »
youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

He's already got one Roma.....'Brooks will tear you apart again...'

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:59 pm »
That looks out for the season to me - huge loss

The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2017, 11:10:53 am »
Gutted for Coutts  :(

Think the "team" is strong enough to carry on performing well though  :ok:

Anyways, roll on Tues and the Fulham match.........Tap at 6.10?? God I need a beer or two  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2017, 08:17:08 pm »
... or 5

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:05 am »

Anyways, roll on Tues and the Fulham match.........Tap at 6.10?? God I need a beer or two  :ok:

See you there (maybe a little bit before - for that 5th Lings mentioned!!)
The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 20, 2017, 10:51:46 am »

See you there (maybe a little bit before - for that 5th Lings mentioned!!)

Well your match fitness is better than mine  :DB

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2017, 10:29:15 pm »
Before the season started I had Fulham in my 3 tips for promotion. Tonight they finally showed that they have the quality to achieve it.

For them, Sessegnon and Ojo were excellent, but throughout the team they were faster, more determined, and showed better quality and intelligence on the ball throughout.

On a night when we were up against the best side I've seen this season, too many players had an off day. Carter-Vickers had a 'mare, giving away the first goal with that catastrophically lame back-pass and being nowhere at all when the ball went across for their 3rd. Down the right side of our defence was a huge gap that they just kept running into. It was easy.

Sharp had a very off night, so too Brooks when he came on. Unlike Vamps I thought Fleck had a decent game but Duffy just wasn't at the races. Lundstram was his usual steady self but no more.

We only looked a threat when Hanson came on for the hoof, and Carruthers had a very decent cameo.

I feel sorry for Leon Clarke - a hat-trick but on the losing side?

Ref was poor but not in a way that changed the game. We were beaten by the better side and I have no complaints. As Wilder says, so far this season every point we've won, we've deserved, and tonight was a continuation of that.

Sort that defence out Chris, it's only 1 game but there were some things to be concerned about.

We'll probably need 4 more goals on Saturday with Che Adams in town!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 22, 2017, 09:57:17 am »
I don't really know what to make of last night... One thing is certain, United know how to put us all through the mincer  :roll:

On Lundstrum... I didn't notice him last night, watching in iFollow.  And I think that's a good thing.  He's not Coutts, but we knew that and if he was as good as Coutts he'd probably be unhappy sitting on the bench until now.  He had a solid game without standing out (for right or wrong reasons).

However, on What's App someone asked "what has Lundstrum not done that Coutts would have done".  I don't want to be too harsh on Lundstrum because I think he did alright, but what Coutts does is protect Fleck.  Fleck's style of play means he takes risks and does give the ball away quite alot.  8 out of 10 times he pulls off that amazing through pass or turns the opponent to create space, but on the other occasions he loses the ball - but like the shopkeeper in Mr Ben Coutts pops out of nowhere to win the ball back.

Lundstrum isn't as good as Coutts at winning the ball back and being in the right place at the right time, but he's young and he'll learn.

I think this is also why Fleck maybe didn't have as good a game as we're used to as we don't normally see his mistakes because Coutts tidies them up, we only see his amazing passes and dribbles... Wouldn't change that for the world, and if that was a "bad" game by Fleck's standards then we're more than OK.

After we scored, Fulham had a period of domination and looked likely to score (I even had a quid on them to score next).  However, we started to dominate again and suddenly we looked the most likely to score again, then out of nowhere their equaliser was given away.

I missed their 2nd because I'd switched to the SkyBet app to spend some of my new winnings on us winning the game 2-1.  When I got there SkyBet said it was already 1-2, and I switched back to iFollow just in time to see them celebrating  )O(

Their 3rd, yes 2CV should have tracked their scorer, but I also thought Blackman's positioning should have been better and he could have cut out the cross.

Fulham were good last night, right from the start I could see that they were one of the better teams we've faced (they actually reminded me a bit of us).  They matched us in closing down which is not something they usually do according to a Fulham fan I know (lazy bastards was the term used) which is probably why several of their players were laid out at the end.

Teams are starting to realise we're not cloggers and are changing theor tactics accordingly.  We're going to have to learn to combat that going forward...

Towards the end, it was like Bassett was back in charge.  2 at the back no midfield and everyone else up front.  The right tactics to play when you're losing at home with time running out and it nearly paid off for us... CW certainly has balls.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:58:55 am by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
Thought we had a few players with off games last night (Lundstrum wasn't one of them!), but if you could be proud of the team losing, that was the game. You cannot fault the effort and fight in this team.

I likened it to a heavyweight boxing fight where both fighters just went at each other full on and sod the defence - I guess the 4-5 scoreline bears that out!! Must have been a great game for a neutral to watch.

The Fulham players at the end were completely done in and if you'd just walked into the ground at the final whistle you'd think we were the team that had won! Fulham certainly knew they'd been in a game last night. As Lings said, I'd say they were the best team I've seen us play this season - at one point in the first half it looked like a Premier League vs a League One side, which this fixture would have been last season. Also like Lings, they were in my aka as a promotion team this season and they showed last night that with effort and commitment they can deliver.

The biggest downer for me last night was The Tap - some truly awful beers last night - the last pint even being left with just a sip from it.....at least that wasn't the one the Icelandic sour IPA they charged £8.80 a pint for (obviously think they're still in Iceland at those prices!!)

Onwards and upwards - bring on Birmingham. 5.30 kick off so could be in an interesting tangle by the time kick off comes around!!!

The Landlord!

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved