HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Input Wanted: Sheffield Guide for Southerners  (Read 115 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Input Wanted: Sheffield Guide for Southerners
« on: December 28, 2017, 03:56:55 pm »
Right guys.  As some of you know, after about 15 years of umming and arghing I've finally got around to buying a bolthole up North (on the edge of the Peak District at Ladybower).

I've started pulling together a guide for guests staying there and as we're only initially renting it out to friends and family most of these will be soft southerners.

I'm writing the guide in my spare time when I'm on the train etc and plan to dedicate a whole section to Sheffield. 

So, I'm looking for your help.  Recommended restaurants, pubs, etc for Sheffield (or even the Hope Valley area). Any suggestions muchly received as I am, I confess, a little out of touch with my home city these days (though I hope to recover the situation now I have a base nearby).

PS: I have mentioned that there are some great football teams in Sheffield such as United, FC and Hallam ;-)

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Input Wanted: Sheffield Guide for Southerners
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:32:27 pm »
It's close to Lancashire. :DD :DD

For any golfers, Sicklehome GC is reasonably close (Bamford)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 01:58:44 pm »
Thanks Bolts but I don't want to put them off  :whi
It's close to Lancashire. :DD :DD

For any golfers, Sicklehome GC is reasonably close (Bamford)

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:34:54 am »
Well on the doorstep you’ve got The Yorkshire Bridge for decent beer but The Ladybower does better food - IMHO. Haven’t been for years, but The Cheshire Cheese at Castleton used to be really good
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 08:40:14 am »
Doesn't Ash live in the area now?

If so, get him to visit every pub & restaurant within a 10 mile radius.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:08 pm »
Doesn't Ash live in the area now?

If so, get him to visit every pub & restaurant within a 10 mile radius.

He already has - it's just whether he can remember them (or wants to!!)
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:19 am »
Rising Sun Bamford, Scotsman's Pack Hathersage.

Castleton worth a visit, Devil's Arse, Speedwell Cavern, the castle, good walks/pubs.

Drive out to Strines is nice and not too far, even if the pub is a bit weird

Close to your place, going up to Derwent Valley accesses miles of walks with one leading to the swimming hole at Slippery Stones - great spot.

On the way into Sheffield the Peacock, the Dore Moor, the Cricket Inn at Totley, all worth a stop-off

In Sheffield there's SUFC and you don't need anything else.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:12 pm »
Rising Sun Bamford, Scotsman's Pack Hathersage.

Errm, the Rising Sun closed about 8 months ago  :whi

Roma, as I am now a Hope Valleyite, I will put together a list of all recommendations based on both my experiences and the feedback from locals.

The first thing to recommend however is the local taxi service - Penny's Cars 07917 710771  :ok: :whi

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:32 pm »
Right then, here goes and I'll start with Hathersage.

Pubs:

The Millstone - recently been bought by a new owner and a bit in transition. Beer good and food ok but nothing exceptional.

The Scotsman's Pack - highly recommended. Excellent beer and food, a nice boozer with a good atmosphere. Occasional live music nights, which seem popular.

The Little John - hmm, this is actually my local as my mates drink there but that's the only reason (apart from the Sky Sports). The beer can be good but is far too inconsistent as they change it all the time so you never know what will be on and it's usually from some obscure brewery I've never heard of. Food is plentiful but basic pub grub although GVFM.

The Plough - a lovely country inn although mainly a restaurant and not somewhere to pop in for a pint. The food can be superb but also occasionally not so good, and at the prices they charge it can be very disappointing.

Restaurants.

The George Hotel - upmarket hotel supposed to be good although I've not been for years.

Hathersage Social Club - a real gem only open from Thursday to Sunday after lunch. Every Friday and Sat night is a themed menu where you order your choices in advance. It's only a very small place that can accommodate approx 30 covers maximum but the food is excellent as is the vibe and atmosphere as the owner Lucy is completely bonkers, but in a good way!!

Maazi - upmarket curry house - bloody fantastic!!!

Sangams - run of the mill traditional curry house which has been in the village for donkey's years. Sometimes very good, sometimes terrible - going through a bad patch at the moment in my opinion, although to be fair I've only had takeaways recently and not a sit down. Many locals remain faithful to this place so it can't be that bad!

Cafes and Deli's.

Colemans Deli - excellent with a wide range of products to eat in or takeaway. Gets very busy in the summer and is only small so getting a seat is difficult. Quite expensive but you get what you pay for.

Cintras - small cafe next to the George. Never been so can't comment.

Swimming Pool Cafe - again never been but supposed to be good and they do Fish n Chips on a Friday eve.

There is an excellent butcher in the village, Paul Bowyer - had to mention this as they are Blades  :ok: :ok:

Think that covers Hathersage, will do Hope next  :ok:

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved