HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: 2017/2018 Transfer window thread  (Read 5525 times)

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: 2017/2018 Transfer window thread
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 04:12:07 pm »

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Enda Stevens signing confirmed. Good move by CW.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/886709235?-295:800:0

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 07:44:15 pm »
I'm all for getting these good lads in from the lower lges but we really need to be getting a couple of Championship lads in, our sheik owner stated there would decent investment in the team once we got back in the championship and we need some experience of that lge, and that costs.

On another note, who does everyone think can cut it in the championship and who may struggle.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:42 pm »
I'm all for getting these good lads in from the lower lges but we really need to be getting a couple of Championship lads in, our sheik owner stated there would decent investment in the team once we got back in the championship and we need some experience of that lge, and that costs.

Kinell Stabo, it's not even June yet  :whi

It's an interesting point though....to be honest, such has been Wilder's influence to date that I'm just happy to trust his judgement. I think like last season he just wants to get the right blend of players who fit his team ethos and who are hungry and determined. As we know to our cost, established higher league players can be feckin awful and a destructive influence on the squad. I'm sure CW has his targets and it is very early days yet!

On who may struggle next season, I just think we need to tighten up at the back, so a strong CB or two would be ideal signings.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 08:52:56 pm »

Kinell Stabo, it's not even June yet  :whi

It's an interesting point though....to be honest, such has been Wilder's influence to date that I'm just happy to trust his judgement. I think like last season he just wants to get the right blend of players who fit his team ethos and who are hungry and determined. As we know to our cost, established higher league players can be feckin awful and a destructive influence on the squad. I'm sure CW has his targets and it is very early days yet!

On who may struggle next season, I just think we need to tighten up at the back, so a strong CB or two would be ideal signings.

No time to sit and ponder you have to get on with it, which is what CW is already doing.  I agree we don't want big time Charlies and CW has done things in the right way, even players that he signed and haven't worked out so ye I trust him. I agree that we need to strengthen at the back, just in case we don't hit the net as often as we did this season.

I also wonder what's going to happen with Brayford....not sure Burton have the funds to sign him, then aagain I don't know what's left on his contract.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 09:37:39 pm »
I think that Brayford has another year left so he's ours to use or loan/sell on.

Given Freeman's form last season, Brayford won't be a guaranteed starter and whilst very useful to have in the squad, the RWB spot isn't priority IMO so I think we should move him on again - I think he will be on a fairly hefty wage so we could do with losing that to free up some dosh for the CB positions.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 12:24:53 am »
Couple of points on transfers:

1. He's getting it done EARLY! None of this last minute window-closing bollocks. Great stuff CW - get your entire side, or as close to it as possible, in the door from Day One of pre-season. Love it.

2. While I agree that a sprinkling of Championship experience wouldn't go amiss, and I'm sure that might still happen, especially at the back, we have to remember that the lower league guys will bust a gut for SUFC and for CW. They've seen at first hand what he can do with players and they'll all want  to be a part of what he's trying to achieve.

CW 5/1 to take over at Sunderland. They've more chance of signing me!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »
Here's my yay, nay or undecided in response to the question who could cut it in the Championship.  This is based on having a squad that can survive maybe finish mid-table.  If we're seriously looking to challenge for promotion in the first year, then I think we'd need to strengthen more.  I've ignored the new signings for now.

Moore - yay
Long - nay

Freeman - yay
O'connell - yay
Wright - undecided
Lafferty - yay
Bash - yay

Fleck - yay
Coutts - yay
Duffy - undecided (too old/slow?)
Carruthers - yay
Reed - nay (not yet)

Lavery - yay
Sharp - yay
Hanson - undecided
Clarke - undecided (if he can keep the form in the last 7 I'd say yay)

On this basis, up top is a bit lightweight beyond Sharp unless Evans an rekindle that 35 goal form.

With Stephens doubling up at LWB with Lafferty and assuming Bash is deployed in the back, then think we need another CB in the Wright mould (i.e. organiser) but younger.

Midfield looks a little light though we can add Thomas in there.  If Fleck or Coutts get injured we're starting to struggle, so another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss.  If Holmes comes in we've got Carruthers, Duffy and Holmes competing for the CAM role, I don't see Carruthers being able to dot he Fleck role or the Coutts interceptor role.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 05:26:28 pm »

Duffy is 31 and too old/slow but Billy Sharp's 31 and is OK? I think Duffy will do just fine in the Championship.

The rest I'd agree with, although I'm happy with Clarke now he's clearly over his injury problem, which is basically what you said anyway

EDIT: You cannot question Jake Wright's inclusion until his "never lost when playing for the Blades" record is broken  :ok:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:32:30 pm by lingsbord »

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
EDIT: You cannot question Jake Wright's inclusion until his "never lost when playing for the Blades" record is broken  :ok:

We thought that Wright would be a squad player/back up last season because he was too old...... :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »
Is that the Royal we mate?  :DB

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 09:59:06 am »

Duffy is 31 and too old/slow but Billy Sharp's 31 and is OK? I think Duffy will do just fine in the Championship.

The difference between Duffy and Sharp is that Duffy couldn't last 90 minutes in League One - age has nothing to do with it - fact is Sharp is fitter than Duffy and Duffy's game is different anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think Duffy has an important role to play, but as an impact player (either as a starter or finisher). 

Without taking anything away from Jake Wright, I think the other 10 around him had a lot to do with his unbeaten record.  As we only lost 6 all season, there are quite a few players who were only involved an a handful of losses.  However, this does influence why I'm undecided.  Logic tells me he's not a "strong" championship player, but the stats tell a different story.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 10:37:31 am »
Wright's record includes the last 8 games of the previous season as well. He's more of a talisman than O'Connell's hat!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 02:35:48 pm »
If Wright/O'Connell/Bash CB trio is good enough for the Championship I'll gladly admit I was wrong and eat Jack O'Connell's magic hat, but for me, right now, Wright does look like the obvious position to improve on.  I know it sounds crazy looking at his record...

Initial bid for Ryan Leonard rejected by Southend.

I've sussed CW's strategy now... Just buy the player of the season from every team in the division below us.  Good job he knows what he's doing.  :ok: :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
I think Wright's good in a 3 at the back but not in a 2. I think we'll bring in a CB before long anyway but it wouldn't surprise me if Wright kept his place until that first defeat

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved