HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: 2017/2018 Transfer window thread  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: 2017/2018 Transfer window thread
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 04:58:50 pm »
What are your general thoughts on Ched coming back?
From a purely football point of view I can see the attraction. If he can find the form he had in his last season for us, together with Sharp we could have a terrifying strike force and at only 100k rising to a possible 500k it's relatively little financial risk.  If he can't find his form I'm guessing he'll be on his way soon enough.

We could have easily signed an unknown quantity for 2-3m and they turned out to be useless.  We could have signed Ward from Rotherham for a million for example, but who's to say he'd score for us.  We could have signed Jordan Rhodes for 10 million  :DD :DD
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:00:27 pm by Roma »

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:29 pm »
What are your general thoughts on Ched coming back?
From a purely football point of view I can see the attraction. If he can find the form he had in his last season for us, together with Sharp we could have a terrifying strike force and at only 100k rising to a possible 500k it's relatively little financial risk.  If he can't find his form I'm guessing he'll be on his way soon enough.

We could have easily signed an unknown quantity for 2-3m and they turned out to be useless.  We could have signed Ward from Rotherham for a million for example, but who's to say he'd score for us.  We could have signed Jordan Rhodes for 10 million  :DD :DD
I look at it this way, Ched has had a season of conditioning whilst picking up minor injuries. He's scored an average of 1 in 4 which isn't bad for a player in a relegation side. His conditioning should improve pre season and I think Wilder will get the best out of him. Also, like you say it's a small risk and could give us an awesome strike force.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 07:58:05 am »
If you look back at Evans' goals for us, he tends to take chances.  He can score equally with his left or right foot.  If there's one, very minor and picky, criticism you could make of us last season, it was we missed a heck of a lot of chances...  I think CW can see Ched snatching a few of these missed chances up.

On Sharp, I know he's going to be 31 turning 32 next season, but he looked fitter last season than he has for a while and, pardon the pun, sharper.  With someone like Lavery or Chad doing the running for him, Sharp can focus on what he does best - poaching in and around the penalty box.

I still think Sharp has a lot to offer in the championship, despite what the piggies are trying to say...

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 03:20:49 pm »
If you look back at Evans' goals for us, he tends to take chances.  He can score equally with his left or right foot.  If there's one, very minor and picky, criticism you could make of us last season, it was we missed a heck of a lot of chances...  I think CW can see Ched snatching a few of these missed chances up.

On Sharp, I know he's going to be 31 turning 32 next season, but he looked fitter last season than he has for a while and, pardon the pun, sharper.  With someone like Lavery or Chad doing the running for him, Sharp can focus on what he does best - poaching in and around the penalty box.

I still think Sharp has a lot to offer in the championship, despite what the piggies are trying to say...

Who gives a feck what the piggies think......I think we'll have a decent strike force, with options in Sharp, Hanson, Lavery and Evans....what the piggies fail to realise is that it's not all about the forwards, it's also about the quality of the final pass into them. Yes you have to be good enough to put the ball away but if you don't get the right ball you can't score.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »
With the strikers we have, and the service they'll get, we'll do very nicely next season. We just nmeed someone to step up to the plate because we can't rely on Sharp like we did this season.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 10:06:36 am »
Relied on Sharp? He went seven games without a goal towards the end of the season and I think we won all 7  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:43 pm »
Without Sharp's goals we'd have scored 62, or 1 more than Bury, so we'd just have squeaked survival  :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 04:14:24 pm »
McNulty and Doyle both going to Coventry.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:19 pm »
Without Sharp's goals we'd have scored 62, or 1 more than Bury, so we'd just have squeaked survival  :whi

He was also the only striker to get regular games, we will need that from him again AND from his striking partner.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 01:26:01 pm »
As long as our full-back bags another hatful we'll be OK  :ok:

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 09:45:27 am »
Not convinced we need another winger / striker. I wouldn't see him starting many games with what we currently have available.

Enda Stephens will be a good signing. I've seen him play twice for pompey at Accrington and he played very well.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 03:05:55 pm »
Duffy's getting on a bit, O'Shea's gone, Champman's gone, Done's been transfer-listed and will go, so actually Bolts I think we do need one or two wide players. I think Thomas will get a lot of game time.

Agreed on Stephens, very nice addition if we can get it over the line.

Ricky Holmes. Lose the feckin' top knot and get signed!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:56 am »
I think it depends on how and what formation we're planning to play next season.

If we're going to stick with 5-3-2 (3-5-2 depending on your viewpoint) and deploy wing-backs, the wide role is pretty defunct, or at best a bench role when we need to switch to 4-4-2 second half to break down teams who park the bus (which judging by the play off games is going to happen a lot).   I think Thomas will be deployed in the O'Shea role, as an impact player, just behind the front two rather than an out and out winger.

Keeping a winger who spends most of his time on the bench happy is going to be a tough one, so maybe loans is the best way to go in that regard?

Personally, I think Carruthers should be capable to replace Duffy when the time comes. Holmes gives us options there too.

Agreed that Stephens would be a good signing. In fact, that should be the "Enda" that debate  :DD
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:02:34 am by Roma »

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »
get yer coat!

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved