HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Banter thread - No.1  (Read 135745 times)

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Banter thread - No.1
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2015, 11:13:18 am »
 It was like watching two NC teams play each other with the exception that we actually scored a couple of goals. Got to say though that Billy is a different player these days, he works so hard, holds up play and tries to bring in other players and i think we've got a bargain. Che had a poor game, he was trying to get around the outside of his marker far too often, who had him in his pocket, instead of cutting in at times and running at his marker. I have to agree that Baxter is playing far too deep and as such he loses a lot of his game, i'd like to see us sign a quality CMer to go with Basham and of course another CB.

Blackpool's problems, like Ash said, is in the final third and they are going to have a tough season unless they get a striker in.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:18 am »
I quite enjoyed the game. I thought Blackpool were there just to frustrate us, which they did very well, but as you very often see in games like this, the team doing all the chasing about often can't keep it up for 90 minutes, and so it turned out. We were decent value for the win in the end, and I think we'll see a lot more games like this over the season.

A clean sheet and 3 points, 2 goals (should have been 3 but Sammon brilliantly missed the goal when everyone else thought he was destined to find the onion bag), we never looked in trouble, I reckon it was a decent afternoon's work. Maybe it looks better through beer goggles though.

BLACKPOOL - great turnout from their fans under the circumstances, especially when I heard they haven't won an away game since April of last year!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2015, 10:17:54 am »
My view on the game was a dire first half - have to agree with Lings in that Blackpool were there to try and contain us which they did well. We didn't seem to have an answer - Not sure why Baxter was playing so deep, either he was told to play there so that him and Basham should cover for McEveley at CB (which incidentely wasn't needed - he had a great game) or he was pushed their by Blackpool's continual hassleing of our players when ever they had the ball.  Someone said JCR was MoM? I thought he was in the pocket of the left back for the whole of the first half.

Second half was like watching a different match and I think this is one of the big differences between NC & NA. Cloughie would be happy that we hadn't conceeded and were still in with a chance of nicking something (remember his quote "our first objective is to not lose!"). NA on the other hand has already said he wants to play attacking, winning football and he clearly saw what was happening, tried something from the kick off, didn't like what he saw and changed it. In fairness Che wasn't having a great game - he produced one moment of magic and was then almost immediately subbed which may have clouded some peoples judgement of him being taken off (yours truely included!), especially as it was Woolford who was being brought on to replace him! I was also a bit surprised at Sammon going off, despite missing the easiest tap in he'll probably ever have - in fact I think if he'd stood still and not moved, the ball would have bounced off him and gone in! It worked though - I don't know what happened to JCR but he then went on to beat his man every single time (which probably prompted the MoM theory), Baxter stepped up the pitch (although McNulty seemed to drop deeper than Sammon had been playing). It worked and hats off to NA, although I suspect if we hadn't won there'd be a whole raft of complaints about why did he make those subs (aren't football fans with hindisght great!)

Delighted for Billy and the pasion he showed after scoring was great to see - i really hope that gets the monkey of his back and we see a flood from him now and how well did McNulty take his goal!!

4 wins on the bounce now but Fulham tomorrow and Swindon next Saturday could prove some interesting competition and show us where we really are..........

Happy Blade here anyway.

Oh - one piece of news for those that don't know - Dane was admitted to hospital last night as an emergency case with his back after he took a turn for the worse. He's got his phone with him though so we may see an increase in his posts as he lays in his hospital bed bored stiff, although he's dosed up on Oramorph so his ramblings might make even less sense than usual!!   :roll: :roll: :whi :whi - get well soon mate if you read this.

The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2015, 10:22:37 am »
Was chatting to a Blackpool fan before the game and he was saying he was disappointed as the bookies wouldn't take a bet on Blackpool scoring -1 against us  :DD

As for the game, the first half was tedious to say the least. Blackpool were organised and were clearly in it for the 0-0.  Sammon should have netted just before half time but other than that we huffed and puffed but the midfield were too far away from the forward line.

I agree that Che had an off day. He couldn't get past his man and his first touch was missing.  Same for Sammon.  He worked hard, but just wasn't getting anywhere.  JCR did OK considering he had 3 on 1 whenever the ball came near him (this is where the midfield pushing forward would have helped as they should have been unmarked).  We did try to spread the play to split them apart, but it was too slow and obvious, giving them time to re-shape (yes - just like one of NC's teams as said below).

I said at half time we needed a bit of luck and this certainly didn't come when Sammon missed the sitter just after half time. I still can't see how he missed that after watching the replays.

To be fair to NA, he knew his approach wasn't working and changed it with almost immediate impact.  I was one of the ones grumbling why a CB was taking the corners when Billy Sharp latched onto it and netted (with the bit of luck we needed).  I thought at the time that Baxter had fouled the Blackpool player as the ball came across and watching it on C5 was convinced. However, after watching a video a fan took on Twitter, it was clearly shoulder to shoulder - so no foul.

The second was well taken by Sparky and I was a bit disappointed we didn't put Blackpool to the sword after that as they clearly didn't have a plan B.  Can't remember ever seeing a team play keep ball across the back and in midfield when 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go.

That said, it was bloody hot and muggy Saturday so not surprised there was little energy out there late on.

First half was similar to games under Clough, the exceptions being a) NA changed it when he realised it wasn't going to work b) we still created chances and c) we won...  Under NC we'd have lost that 0-1 in the 92nd minute.

This team can only get better and when playing badly we can still win fairly comfortably.  With Brayford and Harris to come back in, I think we're in for an exciting season...

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:12 am »
Hope the back gets better quickly Dane mate...  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »
Dane - bring some of that stuff you're on down to BDTBL - we could all use a bit of that from time to time.

Just to add my MOTM for Saturday, all things considered I'd give it to Kieron Wallace.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »
Last 10 Cup Games against Fulham:

Won: 7

Drawn: 3

Lost: 0

er...........

Offline TXBlade

• Administrator
  • First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »

Lol we were moaning at the substitutions as well Bolts.....what do we know eh?

Point of Order I Wasn't  :ok:

Got to agree with Bolts loved getting my name read out by Rob Staton ... We sounded in control for the duration of the game and even Blackpool will get some attacks, mega happy for Sharpy now let the games begin... I was sat here thinking about out score's for the year Adams 2, Sammon 2, Baxter 1, Sharp 1, McNulty 1, Collins 1 our striker are finding the net and we look capable of getting 3 or more a game ... what a turn around from last year COYRAWW

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:40 pm »
Just sent Dane a text and he has responded. It was quite readable for him, so he must be improving. :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2015, 07:07:02 pm »
This weekend, going up to North Yorkshire, near Richmond, so might miss the Chat Room Shenanigans (working on it). The point is I just zoomed in on the place we're going, and it's right in the middle of 3 places:

1. Blades
2. Booze
3. Crackpot

FFS you couldn't make it up!  ;D  If the 3rd place had been called "Chips and Curry" I wouldn't come home!

Offline TXBlade

• Administrator
  • First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:03 pm »
This weekend, going up to North Yorkshire, near Richmond, so might miss the Chat Room Shenanigans (working on it). The point is I just zoomed in on the place we're going, and it's right in the middle of 3 places:

1. Blades
2. Booze
3. Crackpot

FFS you couldn't make it up!  ;D  If the 3rd place had been called "Chips and Curry" I wouldn't come home!

And if memory serves me right Bolts' house is up there also ... Castle Bolton  :ok:

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2015, 08:36:39 am »

1. Blades
2. Booze
3. Crackpot

And if memory serves me right Bolts' house is up there also ... Castle Bolton  :ok:

That's just a small summer house I have Tex......

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:57 am »
I thought he was the crackpot  :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:26 am »
Che signs new deal  :ok:

Offline S36Reject

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2015, 12:42:19 pm »
Thanks for the best wishes everyone.
Meds have changed today compensated with Oramorph every 2 hours.
Started physio which lasted all of 5 mins with the fella calling time. It was just too much pain and I only walked outside the door into a Corridor using a zimmer frame  :yikes:

Anyway, sit rep is. If things don't change in next few days I'll be going under the knife.

Back to football.
Great news on Che. He's repaying us with loyalty after we started his pro-career, which is always nice.

Heard mutterings on someone called Solly March on loan from Brighton and that the Turner deal didn't happen due to his wages. Seems Pigs are in for Hooper as well.

I could only listen in on Sat but it didn't sound convincing, just what most have reported in it being a huff and puff display with patience and endevour finally rewarding us for remaining disciplined. It also says a lot about our fitness. In all honesty, as I've put elsewhere, if we play like we've given our all and win most games 1-0, we'd all take that. So onwards and upwards.

Tonight. It's a Cup so I'd rest the likes of Howard, Freeman, Adams, Sharp and Sammon and start with something like this to try and build confidence and give some game time to returning injury's and fringe players.
Going something like this:

Long/Willis(maybe Long on the bench and give NA chance to look at Willis)

RB Flynn CB Edgar CB Kennedy LB McFadzean
RM JCR CM Reed CM J.Wallace LM K.Wallace
Fwd McNulty Fwd DeGirolamo

Subs(in case it goes tits up)
GK, Collins/McEverley, Baxter, Sharp, Freeman, Basham, Higdon

Thoughts?

Just read through that and YEP, I'm bored  :-[ ;D ;D

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved