HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Banter thread - No.1  (Read 135670 times)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Banter thread - No.1
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
I though the same about Che's studs up challenges after watching the highlights. Maybe this was another reason NA decided to take him off. Although none of them were two-footed, if he miss times one of them it would be regarded as stamping and a straight red.

One more comment on yesterday, from the commentary and then the highlights I couldn't believe how poor the ref was, for both teams. Well, actually I could believe it as that's par for the course in League One.

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2015, 02:28:50 pm »

One more comment on yesterday, from the commentary and then the highlights I couldn't believe how poor the ref was, for both teams. Well, actually I could believe it as that's par for the course in League One.

Interesting - I know he made a few strange decisions (which one doesn't) but overall he was almost un-noticed, which to me is the sign of a good ref. I even commented at one point about a great piece of refereeing when he let play run on, saw nothing was coming of it so pulled it back for a free kick to us.
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2015, 11:49:34 am »
I thought the ref was dreadful. The goal should have stood. If we'd drawn that game, his decision would have been the difference between 1 and 3 points. I also thought he was heavily biased towards giving Chezzy anything that looked possible to justify, when some blatant barges against our players were dismissed.

Funny how people sitting in the same place see the game from a different perspective  ;D

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:07 pm »
I thought the ref was dreadful. The goal should have stood. If we'd drawn that game, his decision would have been the difference between 1 and 3 points. I also thought he was heavily biased towards giving Chezzy anything that looked possible to justify, when some blatant barges against our players were dismissed.

Funny how people sitting in the same place see the game from a different perspective  ;D

At the time I thought the goal should have stood - in fact I was almost apoplectic with the decision - having watched the reply on the highlights it was absolutely the right decision - Billy jumped straight into the keeper with no intention of playing the ball - his eyes never looked at the ball and were straight on where the keeper was going.

I'm not saying all his decisions were right, but we've had far worse.
The Landlord!

Offline TXBlade

• Administrator
  • First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2015, 02:19:26 pm »
Watched the highlights and I was extremely impressed  with the speed we moved from the defense to attack, still concerned that we seem very comfortable although complacent and self destructive are better descriptions of the way we play to ball around just in front of our own back 4. We seemed to get caught in possession easily and allowing Chezzy to turn the play in to an attack very quickly. We need someone to push the ball over the halfway line   rather than trying to control a game in our own third.

Sammon is solid  :ok:

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:58 pm »

Perhaps Vamps saw it different cos he was sober and you were...well being Lings :whi

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:24 pm »
I obviously wasn't pissed enough after leaving 2 pints!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »
I obviously wasn't pissed enough after leaving 2 pints!

Maybe the other 10 made the difference...

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
well it's a thought  :DB

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:56 pm »
Chuffed to bits with tonight's win - great performance. Hope Collo's OK though.

Offline S36Reject

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2015, 12:43:27 am »
Agree with Lings having listened in tonight. Excellent 3 points against a side I expect to be at least in the top 8 this season. It's the comprehensive nature of our wins that's making things easy to take for me. With Clough, you was never easy with any win, there was always that doubt in the back of your mind, some niggling feeling that almost put you at edge regardless of how they won. I'm not saying it's easy, more the complete job was done.
A bit like Saturday. I felt a little injustice about Sammon's goal and the Ref was absolutely trying to let the the away team get something out the game but it was a complete job and it always felt like a complete job. I don't know if this is the Adkins effect but I like it.

I can't remember when we've had a more professional team to now. It's close knit, it reacts and interacts with the fans and they look bothered and that is all we ask for. The whole feeling is very positive throughout the club. Long may it live!

On a more semi-serious note. The Physio has called me today after an MRI scan I had last Sat(8th not 15th). Basically I've got a serious compression of the sciatick nerve on my right side, which has been causing me a lot of pain recently. Yes, I've aggravated it a few times, not intensionally but now they have to operate. As with most Ops, nothing is guaranteed and there is a degree of risk.
I've told Vamps a bit about it and he and Shadow have had much worse probs, as we all know. This is nothing compared to their ops in fairness. I just might have to give some grief to the lads following the home commentary on BP as I recover, bit of prior warning  :D
I will ask if anyone going would like to take Ziah with them and can use my ST as it's of no use to me while sat on my ass for a few weeks/months. Just putting that out there if anyone's interested.
I'll be going under in a few weeks rather than months apparently so will effect my attendance ( :-[ )

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:51:25 am by S36Reject »

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:26 am »
That was an excellent win last night.

Lets hope Collins injury isn't too bad as he and Edgar have strengthened the defence. We looked a little dodgy after McEverley had to go to CB. Nice to Sammon get off the mark and he and Sharpe are beginning to work well together. All we need is Billy to get off the mark on Saturday and I think he will then start to score regularly.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2015, 08:56:13 am »
Thanks to the Highways Agency deciding to close the A14 for repairs at 10pm last night and believing that a detour practically via London was a good idea, it was a late one for us Suffolk based Blades.

Here's a quick summary whilst the game is still reasonably fresh in a very stale mind...

First observation is that the away kit looks great under floodlights.  It just baffles me how certain players (cough-McEveley-cough) seem to be unable to pick out players in fluorescent green instead of those in opposition blue sometimes  :whi

Anyway, that was one of my few grumbles about last night and may as well start with the negatives.  Our defending was a bit harum-scarum at times, and had Peterborough been able to shoot lower than 10m Howard might have had more to do.  In all though he only had a few saves to make (one of them a brilliant point blank stop) so that must be OK I guess.  To be fair, the defence didn't really settle after the early injury and McEverly especially was much more comfortable where he started at LB.  The only other negative is that they insisted on taking chances passing around the back four even though Robertson had realised this ploy and the Posh players were pushing right up against us.  Several heart in mouth moments.

A general observation, not a grumble by any means btw, is our acceptance of using the long ball when appropriate.  Those yet to see a game will know what I mean straight away.  There's nothing wrong with a long ball as long as it's not your only ploy and you have the players to receive them and in Sammon I think we finally do.

The fish (feed him and he WILL score) had another good game. He could be the CF we've been looking for. He's big enough to win challenges, not whippet quick but not lumbering either, and seems to have an eye for goal.  He and Sharp kept their defence on their toes all night, especially with Adams and JCR adding to the pressure constantly.

JCR put in a major shift when he came on. He was up and down that wing all night and was still taking them on at the very end.  His final ball sometimes left a bit to be desired, often too close to the keeper or too low, but all it takes is Sharp to get to one of those before a defender and it's in the onion bag.

Adams started a bit offish. He seemed determined to score, all by himself, and wasted a few early forays into the Posh box by trying to take players on by hitting it past them only to be blocked by an experienced CB. He will learn though, and his ability to drift in off the wing and run across the defence to get a shot away or make a pass caused them some real issues.

Sharp had a good game and did everything but score, despite carrying a knock for most of the second half.  Their defenders kicked, pushed, hit and barged him all night but he just kept battling away and was unlucky not to find the back of the net late on.

Edgar had another solid game and despite one flappy moment Howard was commanding at the back.

Baxter as usual disappeared for large parts of the game, but not necessarily his fault as we did sometimes miss out the centre of midfield, either attacking up the wings or with high balls. On the edge of their box he showed signs of his old self and deserved his goal.

I was worried about Scougs when he went off as he was distraught, so thought it was serious for him. But NA says it's a cut ankle so hopefully should be back soon.  On reflection, I'm more worried about Collins. He just seemed to go down, didn't see how it occurred, so I hope it wasn't metatarsal or something similar. He wasn't really limping coming off either so not sure.

Hope I haven't missed anyone.  Generally it was a good all round performance. Far from the finished article as there's some panic at the back still, some wasted balls when there's an easier pass on, and the occasional confusion between the front four at times. But this will improve with time as they gel.

Main observation on the night was that this was much more exciting than the crap the other Nigel used to dish up. A team that wants to win and doesn't really care too much if the opposition score in the process.

As for the fans. Another remarkable performance as usual...

In summary - it's looking good and on that performance alone I'm feeling confident. Teams with a bit more quality (e.g. Swindon) will cause us more problems, but the cracks are clear to see and relatively small enough to fill in.  If Collins' injury is serious, definitely need a new CB but I'd go for one anyway. With Harris at LB and Brayford RB when they finally return from injury, that'll be a very strong starting 11.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:06:20 pm by Roma »

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2015, 10:38:10 am »
On a more semi-serious note. The Physio has called me today after an MRI scan I had last Sat(8th not 15th). Basically I've got a serious compression of the sciatick nerve on my right side, which has been causing me a lot of pain recently. Yes, I've aggravated it a few times, not intensionally but now they have to operate. As with most Ops, nothing is guaranteed and there is a degree of risk.
I've told Vamps a bit about it and he and Shadow have had much worse probs, as we all know. This is nothing compared to their ops in fairness. I just might have to give some grief to the lads following the home commentary on BP as I recover, bit of prior warning  :D
I will ask if anyone going would like to take Ziah with them and can use my ST as it's of no use to me while sat on my ass for a few weeks/months. Just putting that out there if anyone's interested.
I'll be going under in a few weeks rather than months apparently so will effect my attendance ( :-[ )

Anyone interested?

Hope all goes well mate. ST is no use to me but let me know dates and I'll see what I can arrange with Zach. Assume Emma will be dropping him off and picking him up. I'm at BDTBL for the Blackpool match but then missing a few games myself due to holidays.  Won't be back until the end of September.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:16:27 pm by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:41 am »
Thanks for the report Roma and sorry to hear about the fun on the A14, a road I know only too well!

Just one question, since when did Posh Manager Dave Robertson's nickname become "Fergie" ??? 

:whi

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved