HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Adkins has gone - who's the next one to come in and get the blame............  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Seeing lots of reports about Chris Wilder, but after what he said over a beer a couple of weeks ago I fail to see that one happening.

Ersun Yanal maybe?

I thought Adkins was a great appointment - just shows how wrong you can be so I'll just wait and see who comes in and just give them time to make my mind up!
The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
Seeing lots of reports about Chris Wilder, but after what he said over a beer a couple of weeks ago I fail to see that one happening.

Ersun Yanal maybe?

I thought Adkins was a great appointment - just shows how wrong you can be so I'll just wait and see who comes in and just give them time to make my mind up!

He sounded pretty adamant that he wouldn't consider the Blades job and can't blame him really.

I think Adkins needed to go......sure, he inherited a huge squad of average players but for me there was enough quality there to finish in the play offs and it took him about 2/3 of the season to find a formation and selection that improved us slightly, which is far too long. That coupled with his awful signings of Sammon, Woolford and Hammond and the chances of him bringing more crap in next season if he stayed says to me it's the right call.

Who next........don't really give a flying one at the moment. Whoever it is surely can only improve things next season......surely??

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Northampton have given permission for us to talk to Wilder. Of course, that doesn't mean he wants to talk.

However, two things on that - a) there aren't many in football who stick to their principles when they hear the cheque book being opened and b) if he is a true Blade he wouldn't give a shite about who's in charge.  If Adolf Hitler was Chairman, Osama Bin Laden Director of Football and Adam Johnson head of the youth team I'd still take the job if it were offered to me, and for no money. Once a Blade, always a Blade.

The irony is, if I hang around a little longer, it will probably be my turn to be Blades' manager soon...  :DD

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Maybe we'll get Martinez since he's been sacked today as well - Lings, down boy!!!
The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
Maybe we'll get Martinez since he's been sacked today as well - Lings, down boy!!!

:DD

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
So, welcome back to BDTBL Chris!

Lying get....... :whi

Good luck, you'll need it!!  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Martinez.............see, I managed to restrain myself  :-X

As for Chris Wilder, I'll never believe a word that comes out of his twisted, two-faced, lying mouth!

So we're off to a good start then  :ok:

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Chris Wilder brought in cos he knows the decent cheap players in the lower leagues maybe. Can't say it's an appt that fills me with confidence, but then I was swinging from the light fittings when Adkins came, so what do I know??!! 
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
My tuppen'orth for what it's worth (two pence probably):

Wilder:
What you say over a beer isn't necessarily what you really believe.
I know we're criticising the fella in jest but I for one don't see a problem.  I've become good friends with lots of people I initially considered 'odious'.

As I said before, I found it hard to believe a 'true' Blade would turn down an opportunity to manage his boyhood team because of who the chairman was.  Additionally, a successful football coach has to have a big ego of his own.  Anyone who thinks they'll be prevented doing their job by a chairman, probably isn't confident enough in their own abilities to succeed.  So in a way, it's a good thing he's changed his mind. Shows he has a desire to succeed and he loves the Blades.

I agree with the Landlord - he's been brought in for his experience in the lower leagues (and his ability to motivate a team at a club in turmoil, with practically nil resources).  The latter bit is the worrying part for me!

Adkins:
He was probably on a PL package and delivered our worst season in years. If that was your business what would you have done?  I've done the same with project and product managers in recent history.

The Future:
Who knows? I really hope McC gives CW a clean slate. Get rid of the majority of the pros in the current squad and then give him some decent funds to build a team that can play the way he wants them to.

Don't be surprised if we still see the arrival of the Turk as DoF...

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
I suppose that the club have been decisive in getting rid of NA and bringing in a new manager very quickly. Won't be easy for him to tell players their contracts aren't being extended when he hasn't even seen them play.

Time will tell if CW is a good choice. Maybe it was time to go back to a less well know manager.

I was shocked when NA went, but we really do need to get the correct manager in. We can't keep changing managers every season. It must be costing a fortune to keep sacking managers.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
My tuppen'orth for what it's worth (two pence probably):

Wilder:
What you say over a beer isn't necessarily what you really believe.
I know we're criticising the fella in jest but I for one don't see a problem.  I've become good friends with lots of people I initially considered 'odious'.

As I said before, I found it hard to believe a 'true' Blade would turn down an opportunity to manage his boyhood team because of who the chairman was.  Additionally, a successful football coach has to have a big ego of his own.  Anyone who thinks they'll be prevented doing their job by a chairman, probably isn't confident enough in their own abilities to succeed.  So in a way, it's a good thing he's changed his mind. Shows he has a desire to succeed and he loves the Blades.

I agree with the Landlord - he's been brought in for his experience in the lower leagues (and his ability to motivate a team at a club in turmoil, with practically nil resources).  The latter bit is the worrying part for me

I am certainly jesting, as I'm sure Lings is as well. I never thought he was odious either....seemed like a really good bloke. I'm pleased he is on board now and looking forward to next season. For all we know, he may have already been approached by KM for initial discussions and obviously wouldn't have been able to let on to a couple of random blokes in the boozer that he might consider the role!. However, I do believe him when he criticised the Board as he had previously been through the interview process so had knowledge of how they ran things then. No doubt he has received a decent package and assurances about backing etc and as you say, he's a Blade so I'm not surprised really that he has decided to come.

UTB  :ok:

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile

I am certainly jesting, as I'm sure Lings is as well. I never thought he was odious either....seemed like a really good bloke.

I think you're missing a piece of the jigsaw young Ashley.............The reference wasn't to You/Lings calling CW Odious. Dane posted a message on the whats app group yesterday, relaying what Lings had told him about the conversation and CW calling 'someone else' an odious bar tender!

I know it's a little sad, but I really want CW to be the next Warnock!!

The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile

I am certainly jesting, as I'm sure Lings is as well. I never thought he was odious either....seemed like a really good bloke.

I think you're missing a piece of the jigsaw young Ashley.............The reference wasn't to You/Lings calling CW Odious. Dane posted a message on the whats app group yesterday, relaying what Lings had told him about the conversation and CW calling 'someone else' an odious bar tender!

I know it's a little sad, but I really want CW to be the next Warnock!!

Ahhh right then, old Landlord  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
In the interests of clarity, I thought Wilder was a genuinely nice bloke, and I quite welcome his appointment because at the very least he'll bring back some basic passion and will to win. I wish him all the best and hope he takes us to the top, even if his pants are very much on fire.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
A lot of wires seem to have gotten crossed here. Too much :DG perhaps  :ok:

Here's how it panned out:

• I posted a rumour on What's App that Wilder might have pulled out of the Charlton job because Adkins was sacked and he was going to join the Blades
  • Someone said that was unlikely because Wilder had told someone else over a beer that he'd never work for a certain odious individual
  • I suggested footballers (and managers) aren't renown for their loyalty when wonga is on offer
  • Wilder signed for the Blades
  • I said that we shouldn't hold his apparent turn around against him as we all do it, and I for one would accept to play for or manage the Blades whoever was in charge and I would even pay for the privilege

Nothing else to see hear really.

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved