HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Breaking News - Ched Evans wins his appeal  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
Breaking News - Ched Evans wins his appeal
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:56 am »
More to follow as it becomes available...............

The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News - Ched Evans wins his appeal
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:42:40 am »
His conviction for rape has been quashed as it is now deemed unsafe.

However, the judge has ruled that there should be a re-trial.  So this saga is not over yet.

My initial thought is that if the judge feels that a re-trial is necessary then there is still a case against him, albeit less some of the original evidence that his lawyers have been able to rule out as unsafe.

If there wasn't still a chance that there's a case against him, then I don't think they would push for a re-trial - or maybe that's just standard in these sort of cases?

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22:42 pm »
His conviction for rape has been quashed as it is now deemed unsafe.

However, the judge has ruled that there should be a re-trial.  So this saga is not over yet.

My initial thought is that if the judge feels that a re-trial is necessary then there is still a case against him, albeit less some of the original evidence that his lawyers have been able to rule out as unsafe.

If there wasn't still a chance that there's a case against him, then I don't think they would push for a re-trial - or maybe that's just standard in these sort of cases?

Actually it's not about ruling out evidence as unsafe - that evidence still stands. It's an unsafe conviction based on the 'new' evidence that wasn't able to be presented at the original trial i.e. had the jury heard it they may well have voted a different way. I do wonder just how fair a trial he'll get following all the publicity this case has had now. 

I do however agree that he's far from home and dry
The Landlord!

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:15:15 pm »
If the appeal judges didn't think that the new evidence presented was particularly relevant they would have upheld the original conviction as they don't quash convictions without very good reasons. As such, I would imagine that whatever this new evidence is, it is likely to get Ched a not guilty verdict next time around.

FFS though............a feckin retrial!!!! Waste of everyone's time and money. No doubt the new trial date will be set for about 6 months time so if he is found innocent he will miss most of next season as well.

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:02 pm »
The only real winners in this are the Legal teams who will make money out of it.

Even if he is found not guilty at the retrial, I wonder if he will ever play professional football again?

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:47 pm »
The only real winners in this are the Legal teams who will make money out of it.

Even if he is found not guilty at the retrial, I wonder if he will ever play professional football again?

There will be no reason whatsoever to stop clubs signing him if found not guilty.....those on their hate campaigns and high horses can just feck off because they will have NO argument! At the end of the day, if found not guilty and he is signed by someone, there is no doubt that there will be a few rumblings and objections from the anti brigade to start with but that will go away in no time and they'll all find another target to complain about/campaign for or against.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:56 pm »
Ched and McCabe will have legal cases for compo already written. A retrial is about trying to avoid or delay this outcome as well as ensuring the legal establishment gets another payday.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:00:22 pm »
Ched and McCabe will have legal cases for compo already written. A retrial is about trying to avoid or delay this outcome as well as ensuring the legal establishment gets another payday.

Wow, can you imagine KM going for compo.....that will be as well received by the public as a fart in a space suit.

Another thing to bear in mind though, with the best part of 5 years out of professional football, will he ever reach the standard he could before?? Doubt it myself

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:12:22 am »
Yeah he'll be 28 after the re-trial probably and will need a year to get match fit

Still younger than Sharp though :-)

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 11:20:38 am »
FFS though............a feckin retrial!!!! Waste of everyone's time and money. No doubt the new trial date will be set for about 6 months time so if he is found innocent he will miss most of next season as well.
I read that there's a time limit and a re-trial has to take place within 2 months of the appeal verdict.  Not sure if it's true.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 11:23:02 am »
Yeah he'll be 28 after the re-trial probably and will need a year to get match fit

We'll be needing PL quality strikers by then, so I can see him ever playing for the Blades again.  :whi

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 11:41:39 am »

Still younger than Sharp though :-)

It depends if he's kept his general fitness levels up, then all he'd need is match conditioning which would be a pre season for him.

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »
I read that there's a time limit and a re-trial has to take place within 2 months of the appeal verdict.  Not sure if it's true.

I think it's a 2 month window for the CPS to decide if they wish to proceed with a retrial.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

I think it's a 2 month window for the CPS to decide if they wish to proceed with a retrial.

Are the CPS able to decide against a retrial if the Appeal Judges have ordered one?? I suppose if the new evidence is strong enough they could recommend against it to save costs?

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »

Are the CPS able to decide against a retrial if the Appeal Judges have ordered one?? I suppose if the new evidence is strong enough they could recommend against it to save costs?

Don't know. If they did decide not to then I imagine Ched would be in line for some serious compo. We will have to wait and see.

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved