HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Banter Thread No. 2  (Read 63022 times)

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread No. 2
« Reply #600 on: December 31, 2016, 09:25:33 am »
Then the JTW... lots of speculation on you know who from basically idiots but from thise who I know have inside info say not a chance he's coming back

I take it that one of those you know isn't the kit man this time  :whi :whi

See you there mate  :ok:

Offline S36Reject

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:48 am »
Nah, the Handsworth Lads mainly. They tend to know either way what's happening.

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46:25 pm »
Well another hard fought 3 points to take us top of the league against well organised opponents and not playing anything like our best...........the omens are good!

Happy New Year to all  :ok: :DA :DA :DA

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 31, 2016, 09:54:00 pm »
Difficult game today. Page did a good job on us, doubling up on Coutts, Fleck and Duffy, stifling all our creative play and then, when we did get on top, the final balls/runs just weren't there right until the death. Then, after we scored, their keeper made 2 great saves after 88 minutes of doing naff all.

All in all, it does look good that we can put in an ordinary performance like that and come out with the points.

I thought Clarke struggled today and I still believe Done should start.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 31, 2016, 10:53:54 pm »
Happy New Year ya filthy animals  :ok:  :DB

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 02, 2017, 05:06:11 pm »
Great 3 points today with Scunny and Bolton drawing.

Next Saturday, Bolton's game postponed because they're in the FA Cup, and we have a very tricky trip to Southend.

Scunny on the other hand..............Bury at home!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 07, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »
Another great day!

UTB!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:14 pm »
Interesting reading

https://roysviewfrom.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/view-from-southend-4/

OK, bit of selective choice in terms of the start date, but out of a potential 66 points since mid October we've scored 59 points - this is one train journey I don't want to get off this year!!!

Oh and just for a bit of fun and ammunition for piggy baiting - Freeman has now scored more goals this season than Forestieri!!

Tx/EMV - if ever there was a year for you to get on a plane, cross the pond and come and watch the mighty red and white wizards - this is the one!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:55:46 am by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 08, 2017, 08:10:07 am »
Oxford progressed in the FA Cup so likely that the fixture on the 28th January will be postponed - might mean 3 home games in a row which could be used to really apply pressure on the teams around us. 
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 08, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
Quick brain dump of my view from yesterday's game.

First and foremost, Southend really is a shit hole and despite that everyone seems to want to get to it as the traffic was horrendous.  Luckily found another way out of the dump.  Blue Boar pub on the cross roads up from the town was "away fans" only though and there was a decent chippy opposite, so not all bad.

Although I detest the new, soulless stadiums like Colchester, Southend's traditional old "subbuteo" style stadium really does need a revamp. There was ivy growing throughout the away stand and the asbestos roof was actually lifting and dropping when the Blades started singing at full volume - nice to be showered in asbestos dust for 90 minutes ;-)

Anyway, grumbles aside, it was a good day out on my birthday with a great present from the Blades.

I've seen a few games lately including the ones on TV and what strikes me about this team is the depth of quality and desire.  I don't think there's one weak spot in the entire team both in terms of capability and effort.  All of them, subs included, put in 110% in all of the games I've seen of late.

Also, as the Southend fans have been tweeting, teams find it difficult to cope with how quickly and accurately we move the ball.  It must be frustrating for an opposing player to be chasing shadows for so much of the game.  A ground like Southend, where you're practically shoulder to shoulder with the players gives you a true perspective on our approach.  When we get the ball out wide, there are three Blades players instantly within 10 feet of the ball, giving a double outlet for the player in possession and drawing three defenders from the middle.

Sometimes I wish we'd get the ball into the middle a little quicker, but when you're scoring 4 away from home at a playoff contender, you can't really complain and should have a little bit of patience.

Lavery is going to be a star - that's my prediction.  He's big and strong but also skilful. He can turn his defender everytime and once he gets fully match fit he's going to start scoring on a regular basis.

I was a bit worried about Carruthers.  He seemed to hurt himself in the celebrations for the goal and went down off the ball after an seemingly innoculus challenge.  He called to Freeman straight away to put the ball out, even though we were four against three and Freeman could have put Sharp in the clear.  Hope it's not too serious.  He looked class on the few occasions he got on the ball in his short lived debut though - and was welcomed onto the field with a chorus of "he'll piss where he wants"...

Their second consolation goal was a foul from where I was standing.  Their player caught ours after the ball had broken harmlessly free (O'Connell I think) and he went sprawling the attacker was quickest to recover and scored.  A late challenge is a late challenge...

Moore kept us in it at 1-1 again with two good saves, and another at the end to keep it 4-2.

The first ten minutes we looked like we might win this 5 or 6 nil, but credit to Southend who are a big, physical side, they muscled their way back in it with long balls to their two massive forwards.  First half they were wining most 50:50s and picking up all of the second balls.  However, second half we just ran them ragged with some great possession football.  Let's not forget also, they were unbeaten in 7 or something like that before yesterday.

Duffy had another good game, although he did give the ball away alot with hurried passes when he'd have been better turning and going the other way, but to be fair he also created a large number of chances, including being involved in the first two goals.

Overall, a great day out and a deserved result.  Harry and I had a fiver on Ebanks-Landell to score and Blades to win at 12-1 whilst waiting for kick off, so nice result there too...

I really can't see this side throwing this away - there's too much strength in depth.  The key games will be the ones against Scunthorpe, Bolton and Bradford at home and if we can get results in those, then I think we'll coast it.

Southend fans I spoke to on the way from he ground said we were the best side they'd seen all season by a long way and were all confident they'd just watched the league champions elect... Let's hope they're right.

Confidence is sky high right now. I've just booked my hotel (the Doubletree) in MK for the promotion party...  :ok:  Just hope I can get tickets now.  How about 10k Blades taking over Stadium MK for a big send off...

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 08, 2017, 01:14:42 pm »

Confidence is sky high right now. I've just booked my hotel (the Doubletree) in MK for the promotion party...  :ok:  Just hope I can get tickets now.  How about 10k Blades taking over Stadium MK for a big send off...

Not bad at £43 a room is it   :ok:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:47:52 pm by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 08, 2017, 02:28:32 pm »
Just watched the highlights and it was a great performance. Again Moore pulled of a couple of good saves and he does look like a proper keeper. Bad second goal to give away, but winning well at a play off contender is excellent.

I am beginning to believe that we do have the team that will finally get us up to the Championship :^^ :^^ :^^

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2017, 08:49:44 pm »
For anyone that's interested, I'm enjoying this season far too much for my own wallet and looking to fit as many away games in as possible between now and the end of the season. Happy to fetch anyone elses tickets that wants to join me.
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 10, 2017, 11:39:59 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:20:52 pm by Vamps »

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 10, 2017, 11:40:38 am »
Is anyone seeing the below video or is it only showing as the URL. Not sure why it didn't work  ::)

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved