HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Banter Thread No. 2  (Read 62969 times)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread No. 2
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
Roma I can't argue with that analysis mate, it's exactly how we should be playing and I think if you're getting your fullbacks forward you may as well go for a system that has McNulty as the "fulcrum" forward midfielder who gets beyond the strikers in the right circumstances.

To my mind if you go down the wing and you're ready to play a ball in you should have the right to expect someone gambling to go in at the near post, someone around the penalty spot, and a late arriver at the far post giving the winger/wing back several options in terms of where to play the ball and if it's to be a high or low cross. Lack of movement is a bit of a concern this term so far.

My prediction for tomorrow? A rousing welcome for the new goalkeeper, who then commits a feckin' howler to gift Oxford a goal  :ok:

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
The Oxford game:

1st half - same old deeply concerning directionless hoofball with massive gaps in the midfield for them to run into. They were in our faces and did their jobs well although with no quality at all - we simply couldn't get our game going.

2nd half - although the huge gaps in midfield were still there and we still don't get enough bodies in the box (where does everybody go?) it was all about attitude, belief, desire and yes a massive improvement in quality.

We're a very long way from the finished article, but I have to say that second half was something like what Blades fans want/expect from their teams.

I thought Coutts, aside from one glaring error, had a super game overall with some excellent passes to get things going again. Maybe him and Fleck might be the answer now that Fleck seems to be over his injury.

Scougall - yes he was too easily brushed aside a few times during the game, but he gives us such energy going forward. I thought he also had a really good game, and in the second half Duffy really showed us why he made the League 1 team of the year.

Bringing in Wright was a great move to play alongside Wilson, and when O'Connell then came on for Hussey at left back he really showed Hussey how it should be done.

Moore - looks a very decent keeper for me, and those numpties blaming him for the goal need a check-up from the neck up. The guy was in acres of space 25 yards out and struck a very sweet shot to the bottom corner. Moore's first job is to save it. The fact that no bugger followed the ball in, leaving their man with a tap-in, is hardly Moore's fault.

Signs of life in the dead dog that is SUFC! Only 9 points off the top!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2016, 07:36:20 am »
The Oxford game:

1st half - same old deeply concerning directionless hoofball with massive gaps in the midfield for them to run into. They were in our faces and did their jobs well although with no quality at all - we simply couldn't get our game going.

2nd half - although the huge gaps in midfield were still there and we still don't get enough bodies in the box (where does everybody go?) it was all about attitude, belief, desire and yes a massive improvement in quality.

We're a very long way from the finished article, but I have to say that second half was something like what Blades fans want/expect from their teams.

I thought Coutts, aside from one glaring error, had a super game overall with some excellent passes to get things going again. Maybe him and Fleck might be the answer now that Fleck seems to be over his injury.

Scougall - yes he was too easily brushed aside a few times during the game, but he gives us such energy going forward. I thought he also had a really good game, and in the second half Duffy really showed us why he made the League 1 team of the year.

Bringing in Wright was a great move to play alongside Wilson, and when O'Connell then came on for Hussey at left back he really showed Hussey how it should be done.

Moore - looks a very decent keeper for me, and those numpties blaming him for the goal need a check-up from the neck up. The guy was in acres of space 25 yards out and struck a very sweet shot to the bottom corner. Moore's first job is to save it. The fact that no bugger followed the ball in, leaving their man with a tap-in, is hardly Moore's fault.

Signs of life in the dead dog that is SUFC! Only 9 points off the top!  ;D ;D ;D

What he said!
The Landlord!

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2016, 10:41:32 am »
Having watched the highlights I think the BP commentator is George Long's secret lover as there was no way you could apportion any blame on Moore for their goal.  The defence were to blame for not being alert when Oxford took a quick free kick.  Done was to blame for marking space and not his player.  Freeman was slow to react when the shot came in and didn't track the striker who followed up and scored.

Oxford's chances in the 2nd half all came from corners that were taken short and quickly and we were still asleep.  Good news is, that's easy to fix - just get the buggers to be more alert.

Attacking wise, I know it was only highlights but we had a number of half chances even in the first half.  We just need to turn these into actual chances and shots on target...  Sometimes the wingers were resistant to cross first time.  From the highlights you can't see if that's because (as Lings says) there's no bugger in the middle to cross too.

Oxford are a shite team, so I'm not getting excited yet, but it's good to have three points in the bag at last.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:26 pm »
Moore is big, strong, commands his area well, talks to his defenders and is a good shot-stopper. He's definitely an improvement on Long so far (early days I know) and I for one felt a lot more comfortable with him in goal.

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 29, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »
Watched the highlights, and we just about deserved the win. It was nice to see a goal scored from a great cross from a FK. Lets have more of them. Can't really fault Moore for the goal, it was a good save, but where the f**k was the defence?

My only concern is that Basham was booked again, and it was a booking. He does seem to get a lot of bookings, so he needs to be more careful.

3 points on the board, at last, so now lets get going and start to climbing the table.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 02, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »
I think Harry Chapman could be our best player this season. Pity then that he's been called up for the England U-20 squad and won't play against Gillingham!  )O(

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 03, 2016, 04:59:30 pm »
See the mighty Martin Woolford scores for Fleetwood. Always said he would have been a good player for us :whi :whi :whi :whi :whi

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
The Landlord!

Offline TXBlade

• Administrator
  • First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2016, 03:16:51 pm »
Happy about yesterday .. things need to be built on but a great foundation  :DB #UTB

Offline BoltonBlade

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 05, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »
Happy about yesterday .. things need to be built on but a great foundation  :DB #UTB

Yes, it was an excellent 3 points. Cannot argue about their goal. It was a FK, but Dack put it well. We should have had a pen in the first half, but we got the fortunate one in the last minute. WTF was their CB doing, but I'll add him to my XMAS card list. Sharp converted it very well.

Nice to see Freeman & Coutts having good games. Last year I was not an admirer of Coutts, but he does seem to have changed under CW. I think this 5-3-2 suits us well

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 05, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
I've always liked Freeman and couldn't understand why he'd been listed (nor Bob Harris for that matter)

Coutts is a good player stifled by the previous regimes into just going sideways. Last season he was a one-paced zombie of a footballer but now his abilities are coming to the fore. He plays some great passes at times turning defence into attack.

As for the handball, well we did the same at Millwall so maybe we were due one back  :ok:

Confidence slowly building in the team - CW showed his ability to change tactics to suit personnel and opposition.

btw is Lavery injured? I heard he was out for a few games

Offline Eeyore

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 05, 2016, 08:29:32 pm »
btw is Lavery injured? I heard he was out for a few games

No mate but he hasn't played for an age so not match fit yet....won't be long though and will be an improvement on Done I think  :ok:

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2016, 07:47:51 am »
A good game, away at a team tipped to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

I agree with all the positives below, plus I'm pleased Moore is in the side. He brings solidity to the back five - he talks, he sweeps up and he can't be bullied by the opposition.  For all his shot stopping abilities, Long is just too timid in that regard.

Ebanks-Landell looked interesting when he came on, although he looks like he should be playing American football.  He's going to give us a dimension that's been missing in the side for some time.

There were a couple of negatives, which we can build on now we've finally laid the foundations.  Our set pieces are still something to be desired.  We seem to panic in the final third and the last ball is lacking - we either punt it into the box or hesitate and mis-control or allow the defenders to get behind the ball.  Just need more confidence to whip balls in first time.

Sharp is off the pace.  I feel sorry for our opponents if he re-discovers his edge because if he can score in an off form team when he's not so, ahem, sharp, then he'll get a hatful when he is...

Done.  I agree with the sentiment below.  I like Done, he puts in a shift every time, but he's forever out of position and harries defenders but doesn't actually produce anything as a result of all this huff and puff. Yes, that's a role we need, pressing the opposing defenders, but it's not something our CF should be doing on the touchline near the halfway line...

These are negatives we can build on, not meant to be moans as it was an all round good performance.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
Went to see the England u21s last night at Colchester and I must say I'm highly impressed with Marcus Rashford. Not only does he have a lot of skill, he's quick and also strong.  He can shrug off defenders trying to out muscle him to the ball with ease.  I haven't seen such an exciting prospect in an England shirt since a young Paul Gascoigne.

Let's hope the England set up doesn't drum the talent out of him!

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved