HomeForumChat                    

Author Topic: Banter Thread No. 2  (Read 62983 times)

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread No. 2
« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2016, 09:06:02 am »
I'm in Grasmere Dane, missing the last game of the seasonfor the first time I can remember. I'll be raring to go next season, but the beer's too good here to leave it to watch another dull performance. Enjoy it mate, catch you in pre-season  :ok:

Offline S36Reject

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2016, 09:30:54 am »
Ok matey. Enjoy pal.

Now then, not sure what's been happening but struggled to post over last few days.

I was going to say about McCabe's rant at the forum over being Glad we aren't Leicester and Southampton and the Route they took out of League 1..... like no one wants to be Leicester or Southampton right now. I'd gladly take that option to get shut of McCabe tbh.

Never have I known a Businessman rely on "Luck" to run his business. If a Director of a Company had mismanaged a Club as badly as McCabe over 10 years the customers and Club Employees would be asking questions and running them out of it. Sadly, there are far too many people saying he's our saviour from a Gesture anyone with any financial clout could have done 20 years ago. We are stuck with him as yet another ludicrous decision is passed without question.

Scott McCabe, a man who's never played football, Managed a Football Team or had anything to do with football other than the odd job at Daddy's Pet Hobby is to head up the Technical Biard wjo devide who we buy, sell and develope. Like there's no conflict of interest there and who has even less footballing Knowledge than his Daddy. You just couldn't make it up at all.
I predict now, we will not get out of this League in the right direction under the Leadership of McCabe and Sons whilever they are at the Club and Controling the Club.

Blind Hatred or seeing something that doesn't look or feel right.... you decide!!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2016, 11:15:59 am »
Jim Phipps, Co-Chairman, SUFC
12 mins ·

Dear Fellow Blades,

I have decided not to wait.

With heavy heart, I write to inform you that I have tendered my resignation as co-chairman of the Club and as a Club director with immediate effect. Since September 2013, I have enjoyed the enormous joy and honor of being a part of the Sheffield United Football Club.

Not long after becoming a part of the Club, I became aware (as did my wife and family) that I had caught the bug. It was ‘Blades this’ and ‘Blades that’ at all hours of the day and night. As it turns out, before long my whole family – including my parents, wife, children, siblings, and nieces and nephews – had caught the bug. Gladly, there is no cure. Leaving the board cannot change my feeling for the Blades … as they say, “Once a Blade, always a Blade!”

During these last three seasons, I have experienced along with you moments of both ecstasy and despair. Through the highs and lows, I have forged friendships with fellow Blades, which I value deeply and which I hope will last a lifetime. Along the way, you have allowed me to be a part of your lives – whether in the care and kindness you have shown to me by having me over or out for meals, and family gatherings or in the opportunities you have afforded me to be a part your life events, both happy and sad – births, birthdays, weddings, health crises, funerals and memorial services. I even come away with a wonderful godson in young Freddie Higginson, who is growing like a weed after getting off to a rocky start.

As I leave this most special service, I am filled with deep gratitude for the warmth and kindness you have shown me throughout my tenure and for your permitting me to be of service to you. I am thankful to the truly amazing Club staff, who keep the Club going week in and week out, no matter what happens. I am grateful to my wife and children for allowing me the time to serve you and for cheerfully being a part of the Blades experience with me – taking the rough with the smooth, and bearing up with my unending absences. I am, finally, thankful to Prince Abdullah for affording me the opportunity to serve you.

What I have not been able to give you, and what we all desire, I wish for you with all my heart: Serial promotions and a return to the Premiere League.

God bless and up the Blades!

Jim Phipps

P.S.: To those who have expressed concern about my health, thank you. I am very much on the mend, weight down (a bit over three stone) and working to be more fit still.

P.P.S.: To those wanting to stay connected, here is my permanent personal email: jamesdphipps@gmail.com. To stay connected professionally, please use: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jimphipps.
Jim Phipps | LinkedIn
View Jim Phipps’ professional profile on LinkedIn. LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like Jim Phipps discover inside connections to recommended job candidates, industry experts, and business partners.
linkedin.com

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2016, 12:02:12 pm »
Long, Basham, Coutts, Sharp, Done, Woolford, McEveley, Baptiste, Adams, Edgar, Hammond.
Subs: Sammon, Reed, McGahey, Cuvelier, Whiteman, Kelly, Ramsdale.

The future of our midfield..... Woeford, Coutts, Hammond..........deep joy  :-[

Offline Vamps

• Administrator
  • Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2016, 04:18:26 pm »
Well......I had a choice today of Blades or Sailing - just come back into the marina, seen the result (and moans) and have to say soooooo glad I chose sailing!!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:47:58 pm by Vamps »
The Landlord!

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2016, 05:00:27 pm »
11th place finish. total mis-management from first day to last. Just look at the teams that finished above us. 8 points off the last playoff place in the end. Jeez!

like Vamps, today I had a choice. Scafell Peak Ale, brewed on-site at the pub I was at in Wasdale, quite possibly in the top 5 beers I have ever tasted, in the beer garden in unbroken sunshine, 1 minute from one of my favourite places in the UK, OR watch that uner-achieving shower of shyte masquerading as my beloved Blades. "BURP!" ONE MORE PLEASE LANDLORD  :DB

Offline S36Reject

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2016, 12:12:40 pm »
Seems the Lap of Honour was a bit of a wash out and some of the players that received boos from whoever was keft in the Stadium did themselves no favours by throwing rods at the fans.

It was very poor though. Second best throughout.
From what I'm hearing, he was told to give the kids a run out today but refused to at the 11th hour. Choosing all his signings over them.

Hammond and Woolford received boos throughout and even more vociferously when Subbed off. Frankly, I don't think Adkins will last the week after that, if rumours are to be believed too.

The Crowd Sang "Sack The Board", "McCabe Out", "you're getting sacked in the morning", A new "Bullshit, Lies And Deceit Every Season" song which I found comical and from what I've heard McCabe texted like mad before leaving the match early during and in the after math of all these chants. Apparently he also told some fans he was furious with the performance of the Players and he wasn't going to stand for it.

Overall, sun drenched Bramall Lane was a shyte place to be yesterday and I wished I'd stayed in the Pub.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 09, 2016, 01:26:45 pm »
I've said it all season, NA wasn't backed by the board, we sell Murphy for £2M and make one signing of 500K and for me that's not backing the manager. Yes he had a huge squad of rubbish to contend with and he didn't help himself with the few signings he did make (Sharp apart). I was watching Sky and they said on there that we'd signed the least amount of players in all 4 divisions, also in reference to NC they said that he wasn't allowed to play the way he wanted at the Lane, not sure how they know that, so perhaps NA hasn't been either. For me we need to give him another season with proper backing to make a fist of it so let's see what players he can bring in. I also hope he listens to the fans on Hammond and not sign him, pays Woeford's contract off, releases the majority of the out of contract players and build around Sharp, Adams, Long and Brayford with pace, power and quality.

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2016, 03:54:10 pm »
Roma, i've put the videos of the forum on here mate....some of it is laughable.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2016, 04:57:17 pm »
I didn't see the Board backing Warnock at Rotherham too much either Stabo, it's just that some managers are actually quite good at the job.

I said previously that with Mcnulty, Harris and Freeman still here (perhaps even Scougall) instead of the players Adkins brought in (with the exception os Sharp) we would have been far closer to where we need to be than we are now.

A good manager should have been able to get a tune out of a group of ex-championship/Premier League players in this division, and he should quickly work out who has the heart, spirit and balls to fight for the team instead of just turning out for a wage.

he's had a full season with experienced professionals and overall I am woefully under-impressed with what I've seen, to the point where the football after a full season is actually worse than when he started!

No doubt the Board WILL back him this coming season, and we'll recruit a side full of woolfords, sammons, hammonds etc on 3 year deals so when we finally sack adkins it will take 2 more years to get a decent side together.

UP THE BLADES!

Offline Staboblade

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2016, 05:50:24 pm »
Lings, The team wasn't good enough at the start of the season to get a play off place and apart from Sharp and Adams who got us goals? Ye Hammond and Woeford were terrible but we lost Baxter too for a big part of the season, who could have got a few goals from midfield. Also everyone was chanting about Sammon when he first came in because he scored a few goals and Edgar did ok but needed a proper CB with him which would have allowed Basham to play in midfield. And ye I agree that Harris, Freeman and Scougs would all have helped. But losing Murphy was a big loss and NA didn't replace him with quality. We also don't have the same quality of youngsters Soton had when he took over there, which was a big reason they got up to the PL. Ye they too sold the kids but seemed to have as good to replace them, we have the odd lad who becomes ready now and then.

On Warnock, he is by far a better manager than NA and his record proves that but plenty of Blades fans wouldn't want him back, I'd take him tomorrow.

I've said for years now that our problem is McTwat and the board and i've been lambasted for it but the fact is we were a half decent Championship side when McTwat joined the board and we sold Deane and Fjortoft just before he took charge and now we're a very average lge 1 side still selling players that could make a difference. What are the odds of someone like the Dingles or Wigan, who wanted him last summer, going for Sharp in the summer? And the plain fact is that there's been only 1 proper season where McTwat decided to go for it and spend some real dosh and that was the promotion season to the PL. He was cheap in the PL and that  cost us, it wasn't bad luck. The only other time we spent a little bit was when we signed BT and Sharp under Nobson and we all know what happened there.

Don't get me wrong on NA, I think he should be given some of next season to rectify everything because it's just the same old in out with us otherwise, but I have no real love for most our managers (Porterfield, Bassett and Warnock apart) and i'd be happy to see the next mug fail under McTwat.

Finally, if McTwat and his family are a lead weight to us and if they were to sell the club and we were rid of them then we'd see better times, times the fans deserve and i'd rather have gone down the Soton and Leicester route because we're exactly where they both went before rising to the top tier.

Offline lingsbord

• Legendary
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2016, 10:51:51 pm »
We were never set up to get goals mate, often playing with 1 upfront in the early part of the season and then we started playing one of the highest scorers on the division the previous year at left back!

The midfield approach of dour, defensive scrapping was never set up to be creative at all, hence again the lack of goals from anywhere else.

I thought Murphy was great, but we didn't replace him as you rightly say, but instead NA blew the budget on a raft of no-hopers. My point is, I believe we had the squad to get into the playoffs at the start of the season and it could have been very strong had NA not brought in players from the Cornish Donkey Sanctuary and actually brought in a proper left winger and creative CMF.

I also think his personality doesn't help. I find his constant blind-faith eternal bright-side views a pain in the arse and I'm sure the players don't respond well to him. It's like being managed by an accountant or civil servant. He certainly doesn't inspire passion, spirit or a fighting desire to win a game because they know he'll always try to make a shyte performance sound like an unlucky good one. He's dreary as fuck and his football reflects it.

I think we may have a few more seasons down here if he's given the budget to build his own team. I think McCabe thinks the same but he's too embarrassed to sack NA after sacking so many in recent years.

Doesn't matter what the squad was like on day one, it's up to the manager to make sure he maximises the assets he has at his disposal. He hasn't done that while Barnsley, in a relegation spot on Boxing Day, finished miles above us in the end. Fight, spirit, passion, and no-one would have said their squad was good enough for the playoffs either but they made it and we're miles behind on so many levels.

Offline Roma

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 10, 2016, 09:04:14 am »
I must admit that when NA was recruited I was pleased.  I dismissed the Reading fans who commiserated with us at the time, and listened more to the Saints' fans who said he was unlucky to have been sacked, and also the Scunny fans who idolised him.

His win %ages are:

Scunthorpe 41.7%
Southampton 54%
Reading 36.3%
Blades 40.7%
Overall 44%

Interestingly, Warnock's win rating at Rotherham is 37.5% (but then the wins needed to survive are obviously much less than needed to be promoted).

Warnock with the Blades won 42.53%.

Warnock's career overall = 40.13%

Cloughie  = 47.1% (Blades) and 38.3% overall.  With Burton he's on 46.2%.

Danny Wilson's Blades' record was 51.89%

I know, statistics damn lies and statistics and all that, but interesting none the less.

When NA came he talked about flowing, attacking football. He quickly changed that, citing an unreliable defence (the stats backed this also, especially GA column).  So what happens if (big if) he gets a decent defence in over the summer?  Would he go back to playing the way he wanted to? Is he really capable of doing it this way? Could some decent signings make NA back into the manager Southampton had?

The Crossed Blades Founded 2007 - All Right Reserved